Mount Olive police shoot 'vicious' dog - Your opinion?

Tell us what you think
Forum rules
The Goldsboro News-Argus reserves the right to delete any posts deemed inappropriate or off-topic.

Re: Mount Olive police shoot 'vicious' dog - Your opinion?

Postby Flow on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:08 am

I was once a police officer, and I know how it feels to be afraid of dogs. You cannot measure how well a police officer is just by what they are afraid of. Everyone in life have fears, things that would make us run or make us freeze up. When you go to a call you don't know if you are going to get hurt or not. The one thing that you are taught is cover yourself because if you get hurt then you can't help the next person. The people that wrote that this police officer should be fired should go out and work on the streets just one day and then post your opinion. For the Mayor to make the comments that he made that was wrong as well. There are a lot of things that a police officer is not trained to deal with but they get calls everyday. As a police I have had calls about snakes, dogs, cats, bears and I had to response for your safety. On these types of calls you do the best you can with the quick time you have to make a decision. To the officer, I appreciate all that you do keep up the good work. Ralph S good job.
Flow

Postby susan on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 am

The officer should not lose his job. He should be made to volunteer at the new animal shelter a minimum of 20 hours per week for a period of one year. He is not worthy of owning an animal of any sort. Everyone makes mistakes and this is a very good way to learn from one. The entire police force should be trained to react in cases such as this. No human should have to endure the pain this dog owner is feeling. My heart goes out to these owners. No replacement dog could take Durham's place in their hearts.
I do agree that we, the public, have only heard one side of the story. If the dog had a history of getting out and scaring people, I can see where the officers would be a little more aggressive in their response,however, I do not agree with shooting the dog if he was too far away for the use of mace. What about a stun gun? We cannot compare the size of the dog to human beings either--come on people! Any officer that feels threatened by a 45 LB dog does not have any business protecting us!!! I feel like we owe it to Durham to use the officer as an example. Teach someone to fish and they have food for life. Let's teach the officer to have compassion. The new animal shelter is waiting for him.....
susan

Postby jdixon1110 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 pm

A society is judged by the way they treat their animals...

Opinions are what they are, opinions. To the readers who have posted negative comments about the compassionate responses to the tragic death of Durham,I feel sorry for you. For those of you that are so heartless that you cannot see just how difficult losing this dog was your day will come, perhaps it will be by some "animal" that sees your heart, black and ugly.

Colby, I commend you for trying to get a law changed that will protect other common folk that love their animals from a trigger happy scared "boy" with a big boy gun! And for your neighbor the "scared" one who made the call, I hope by getting on TV talking about the viciousness of Durham making yourself look better will realize the nightmares you will have and have given your neighbors children. You are truly the epitome of "neighbor."

I am truly afraid of people who don't like animals, what does that say about you? Read the first line above!

Lastly, the neighbor got what she wanted, the officer is "safe" and this gives people a chance to show their true "light."
jdixon1110

Postby BEIRUTSEAL on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:56 pm

YOU KNOW MY DOGS HAVE GOT OUT A FEW TIMES AND I'VE DONE ALL I CAN TO KEEP THEM IN, BUT THIS HAPPENS AT TIMES NO MATTER WHAT. I LIVE NEAR COLBY AND I'VE NEVER SEEN THE LAB OUT, I HAVE SEEN THE "ROTTIE" OUT A COUPLE OF TIMES, BUT DID NOT HIDE IN FEAR AND RUN FOR MY PISTOL. THE "OFFICER" USED VERY POOR JUDGMENT IN KILLING THE LAB, BETTER STEPS SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN TO AVOID THE FINAL OUTCOME. IF THE "OFFICER" COULD NOT REACH THE OWNER , HE SHOULD HAVE SEEN IF ANYONE AROUND COULD GET THE LAB AND PUT IT BACK IN THE FENCE OR TIE IT TIL THE OWNER CAME HOME. I HAVE A CATCH STICK AND COULD HAVE CAME OVER AND GOT HIM.
IF THE 'OFFICER" WAS THIS QUICK TO KILL THE DOG, THEN GOD FORBID HE COME UP ON A CHILD WITH A TOY GUN.
COLBY,I KNOW YOU WILL "DURHAM" AND WE OFFER OUR SUPPORT, S.K. KNOWS US.
BEIRUTSEAL

Postby Dukster on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Everyone has an opinion. Here is mine. Everyone that says the Officer should be fired, how often do you see people in the news being attacked by a dog and maimed or killed? The officer has to make a decision in a fraction of a second. None of you were there but you say you would have handled the situation at hand a certain way. We are so brave when it is our dog that bit us.
The Mayor was wrong for jumping to appease the local community because they did not have the whole story and were angry. Let’s not be so quick to judge based on media stories. I know I was in Iraq and I know what was reported and what was real. If you know the facts then judge.
I served in the military for 22 years and I lost a dog to cancer while deployed to Iraq. The only thought I had was did I tell her bye before I left. I understand love of a pet.
Dukster

Postby AnnetteM on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:44 pm

I am the proud parent of Colby , one of the owners of Durham. Please understand at no time during this horrible situation has she asked, demanded or even hinted at having the officer fired. The loss that she and Mike are feeling does not overshadow the end result which is to try and make sure that this does not happen again to anyone. To those of you that don't understand how passionate animal lovers can be, I am sorry to say that you are missing out on knowing "unconditional" love that knows no boundries. Animals love you even when you're not the most lovable person and are always there to comfort you when you don't feel like you have a friend in the world. I understand that the officer is a dog owner and I'm sure loves his dog, so I'm sure he understands the loss that Colby and Mike are feeling and hates that his actions brought about this loss. His decision will be one that he has to live with the rest of his life. I don't know that there is anything more that can be done or would I want anything else done that can make him feel what he is feeling and dealing with now.
Had the supervisor that came to the house that Thursday night shown some or any compassion, instead of treating this as a typical traffic stop, I know that it would have aided in turning this situation into a different and better handled tragedy. Shoving Durham into a trash bag and tossing to the side of the road was wrong. He may have been "just a dog" to some of you but to Colby and Mike he was one of their "babies" and although it may have taken a little time and effort, taking him back to his house and laid at the door would have at least shown some compassion. Imagine coming home to find a note on your door from the police department, with very little explanation, and then a very shaken,upset and caring neighbor coming to your door to tell you that one of your "babies" had been shot and killed. What would you have done? We don't know until we have been put in that situation, so as many of you have said, don't be so quick to judge until you've been there. For the neighbors that were frightened, "bullied" by Durham I know this is something that Colby nor Mike would have wanted. Hindsight is 20/20 and I so wish that as a "neighbor" you would have taken the time to contact either of them and they would have make sure that they did everything they could to rectify the situation. Everyone in that house loves their pet and would never want anyone to feel anything but safe around their animal. Bella, Colby's Rottweiler, although holds the stigma that goes with her breed, is the biggest lap dog you could ever meet. The worse she could do would be to lick you to death. Durham was her best friend and now she is lost and walking around wondering where her friend is and when is he coming back. Yes, I do believe that dogs love other dogs and feel loss just like we do. That is part of what makes them so special. Durham was that special.
This is another reason that we should, as neighbors, talk with, and discuss issues that are important before tragedy happens. Thank you to Meredith,Whitney,Cooper,Kari,Rock and the two young men that came to help bury Durham for all your loving support. And to the many of you that have sent words of support via phone calls, email, etc, This has helped Colby and Mike knowing that so many people are out there, so many that they have never met, show them compassion and understanding during this terrible time. I've always heard that animals are a good judge of character and so far in my life I have found this to be true with all the animals we have owned. For the most part all an animal wants is to be loved, petted, fed and played with, and not necessarily in that order . Would that we humans could love so uncomplilcated and unconditionally. Please don't let Durham's death be in vain. Let's work together to make the necessary changes to protect each other and our loved ones. Thank you for your time. Annette
AnnetteM

Postby MountOliveNative on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:14 pm

It's a sad story that should have waited till both sides were told. I can see both sides; yes it would upset me if my dog was shot and killed but also there are people saying that the dog has been aggressive to them. I have to agree with some others; I would be embarassed if I were Ray McDonald. I've heard plenty of people tell me that he only tells you what you want to hear. He should have stayed behind his officers; he probably has no clue what they go through and see on a daily basis. From my understanding, he has put this town in a bad situation many times. If anyone needs to apologize, it should be him. Chief Schroeder apologized for the dog so I think people need to get over it now and move on. The officer is not going to be fired for this. If people want to get involved in this town and "worry" about what is going on then help them fight all of these thugs on the south end. Mt Olive is a small town with big city crime. These people who are making such a big deal are young; too young to realize you have to pick your battles. Once again, it is sad but people would stop and think about the WHOLE situation, they would have a different prespective...not saying they would switch "sides" because there really isn't a side. The owners are saying its a nice dog, the neighbors are saying the dog is vicious...The owner is saying no one ever said anything about her dog, the neighbor is saying that the police have been called plenty of times.....who is to judge. I say leave it; get over the dog's death, you got an apology, and move on.
MountOliveNative

Postby drFarmer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:18 pm

This officer clearly needs to be off the streets! His lack of judgement demonstrated by this action
is such that he should not be in law enforcement any where. Every Lab owner, concerned citizen, and
any person invested in the integrity of law enforcment should voice their concern. Keep Mt. Olive safe.
Get this guy out of the department!
drFarmer

Postby MountOliveNative on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:35 pm

I believe this past article should be the end of all of this.

It was well said Chief!

Thanks!
MountOliveNative

Postby jdixon1110 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Nice cover-up, I see the "good ole boys" system is still in place...

This article just goes to show to what extent people will CYA. The sad part is you "good ole boys" REALLY can sleep at night.And please, please, some of you NEVER need to have animals!
jdixon1110

PreviousNext

Return to Community Forum