Mount Olive police shoot 'vicious' dog - Your opinion?

Tell us what you think
Forum rules
The Goldsboro News-Argus reserves the right to delete any posts deemed inappropriate or off-topic.

Re: Mount Olive police shoot 'vicious' dog - Your opinion?

Postby tracywalston on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:04 pm

I am from Goldsboro and I have owned several labs (shepards etc). I am a hugh dog lover and currently have a beagle. I have mixed emotions about this whole mess.
First of all, I think as adults a lot of what I have read here is rediculous. Some of you are speaking like you're 14 years old. Grow up and stop name calling. Barney Fife? Give me a break.........I'm not sure that dog should have been shot but then I wasn't there. If a 250lb man comes after an officer.... That's something he was trained for. When a dog comes after you your reaction time is limited. While I believe labs are very sweet dogs ~ one that has been raised in a fence/pen (not sure which and not speculating) with a rotweiller may not be. I have very close friends that have a rottweiller and he is a sweety. BUT, just like ANY other dog they ARE unpredictable...........ALL dogs are unpredictable. If mace was not an option due to 8ft being too close to make that quick of a decision then what do you do? I'm going to protect myself......as would you. I so hate that Colby lost her dog because my dog is very much a part of my family. I also hate that the dog was shot period. BUT, I bet you don't have anymore problems like this from Ms. Magnum.........SECURE your dogs~then it becomes a non problem. Its called responsibility......and Durham was yours. You failed him by not protecting him at all cost as he would have you..........sorry it's a forum and that is my opinion. It is our responsibilty as dog owners to make sure they are protected.....from fleas, ticks, oppossums, other dogs, cars and yes, humans. Ultimatly, you have no one to blame but yourself. You knew they were getting out of the fence~ that should have been priority number one my dear. What if Joe Blow had hit Durham with their car and left him on the side of the rode? Would that have been Joe Blows fault too? No mam, You messed up! Own up to it and leave the officer(s) alone. There are too many other things out there on the streets they need to be concentrating on. Please, people, handle your business and back off. Durham is gone and Colby needs to move on and not waste ANYMORE of the tax payers money. I am truly sorry to hear of the lose. It breaks my heart but to make comments like you hope this officer has a wife and children and that they should be embarrassed to be a part of his family. I bet if you were getting raped or mugged or robbed and you were within inches of your life you would be VERY happy to see Officer Sasser...I know I would. Probbaly not the best judgement call he has ever made and probably won't be the last bad call he will ever make~ but ya know what........thank you for protecting our county Officer Sasser. I'm sure you're doing a fine job! And Dixon......shut up! You are the idiot in this forum....how old are you? Blake, ugly heart......you are a very bitter person. I love my dog and all dogs but
tracywalston

Postby busybee on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Wow - there are certainly a lot of people ready fire the police officer. What about the dog's owner? It seems to me that pet owners have a responsibility to maintain control of their animal. Which means keeping the dog on their property and keeping the dog from harassing neighbors. Whether Durham was just playing or not. He was certainly not confined to his own property. I have two dogs of my own and they are very loving and playful. But they are not my neighbors dogs and so I keep them on my property. They are not allowed to roam. This is for their protection as much as for my neighbors sake. I don't think that the officer handled it in the right way, but all the information I have to go on is what I have read. I was not there and do not know all the circumstances.
busybee

Postby MountOliveNative on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:20 pm

They have been called 4 times in 2 years, but yet she never recieved a citation...maybe they need to start citing people for this just to prove a point instead of being nice. This is not a cover up, simpley read the comments of some of the neighbors up here. They are telling you that the dog has come after them...that is not hearsay.

I like how Tracey Walston thinks; if only others were the same way.
MountOliveNative

Postby News-Argus on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:24 pm

We understand that this is a emotional issue, with our concerns split between our love for dogs and concerns over the safety of the officer and neighborhood, but please remember to keep the discussion civil.
News-Argus
Site Admin

Postby MountOliveNative on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:31 pm

This needs to be taken down honestly...enough has been said check out WRAL for goodness sakes almost 300 entries. I think we should leave it with what was in the paper today. Enough Said.
MountOliveNative

Postby tracywalston on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:43 pm

My apoligizes to Mr. Dixon, I meant to delete my last sentence before hitting send. Everything else came straight from the heart! Thank you all.
tracywalston

Postby Kim on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:59 pm

I would first like to start by saying that I am completely heart broken by the entire thing! My heart goes out to both Colby and her boyfriend...good for you for standing by what is right! I believe it is absolutely sad and ridiculous that anyone would say things like "she should keep her dog in her yard if she wants it safe." Do you really feel that someone should be able to kill an animal b/c they get out of their pen (clearly Colby was trying to keep him in)? I am the loving owner of 3 wonderful dogs that are outside and even with a chainlink fence and underground fence...they sometimes get out. They may bark and appear "vicious" if they are unfamiliar with you, but they would never harm a sole. Does that give a police officer the right to take out his SHOTGUN and shoot the dog, not once, but twice? I don't think so. And even if the dog did lung at him...he had a shotgun aimed at him...that would make an animal feel threatened. I fail to believe that the police officer could not come up with any better solution that to kill the dog...and heartlessly drag him the curb in a trashbag-and you argue that this man is animal lover-ha! That is sick and plain cold hearted. Furthermore...is there no process for formally documenting that the dog is in fact "vicious" prior to shooting him with a shotgun. I mean, no citations were given over the course of the 2 years, how do you justify killing the dog. No one was in real harms way but the cop who continued to aim a gun at a dog who was obviously treatened and hiding in the thicket already. The cop could have maintained the safety of the community until animal control or Colby got home-oh yeah...they did "know they could call animal control after hours"-from the words of the police Chief. The fact that the MO police are standing behind the dog killing cop does not suprise me. MO has been known for it's dirty politics for years...this is just another example of how the town is run. Frankly I am glad that I do not live in the town of Mt Olive. I hope that other areas evaluate their policy in handleing situation like this one...it is terribly sad and was completely unnecessary. Now several people are grieving the loss of a family member-FOR NO REASON AT ALL. To Colby and Mike...I am terribly sorry for you both...I can't imagine what you are feeling. My heart feels for you both...you are representing Durham well and should be proud!
Kim

Postby chestley on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:00 pm

I wish this story hadn't been sensationalized as it has been .The take on this story has been over exaggerated,distorted,and misrepresented more than any I have ever seen. Maybe thats because I didn't know the details of other stories like I do this one. The start with there were no children present at the time of this incident.Also, this wasn't the sweet innocent little puppy he has been betrayed as.It wasn't a playful jump at this neighbor, it was an aggressive attack. If this ladies back door hadn't been unlocked she would had been attacked. It's easy to read a story the way this one was presented, and draw the conclusions that most people have. But until you have feared for your children and grandchildrens safety from a dog that ,not in his own yard, but in your own yard,chases you and your children into your home to escape attack, you probably won't understand.I have really been disappointed in the news coverage on this.It has caused a lot of animosity against a police officer who was doing what he was hired to do serve and protect. Yes I believe in animal rights, but I also believe in human rights.Especially in their own yard. And to that police officer I say it's good to have someone on the force who will take action when it involves the safety of the citizens of our town.
chestley

Postby colbywhit on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Everyone keeps talking about the he said she said and in all honesty no one other than eye witnesses will ever know what really happened. For those of you who feel the need to directly attack US as pet owners, who are you to judge any more than anyone else? We DO have a pen. It HAS been reinforced. And as recent college graduates and current college students, we unfortunately can not be home 24 hours a day. Do you think we feel no guilt about his escape? You believe we haven't cried over it? Do you HONESTLY think we feel no responsibility? Sure you do. You do not know us and that makes us easy to attack.

We have never once disputed Durham got out. We have never disputed he was in the neighbor's yard. We have never once disputed there are two sides to every story. But some of you, who crucify "animal lovers" and go on your rants and tangents are no better informed than those you are attacking. WE are who came home to the situation. WE are who buried a dog we loved dearly. WE are who cried for hours on end. We do not say this to you for your sympathy because we don't need it. We have wonderful friends and family who have been more than supportive.

For those of you who keep referring to the "split second decision", get yourself a copy of the report. That is not the situation. For the "neighbors" here who say the dogs have chased them or growled at them, we find it strange that NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON has EVER approached us. EVER. If you had such a problem, you should have let us know. We would never want our dogs to make anyone feel threatened or uncomfortable. But you wouldn't know that because you have never tried, never even met us. We have never been warned, issued a citation, or a ticket over our dogs. And regardless of your accusations and the things you say happened, we will say the one rude thing: shut up. What does it matter? He's dead. Apparently you got what you wanted. He paid the ultimate price. Are you happy now? Those of you who complain and complain but have NO COURAGE to come speak to us directly? In regards to the woman who spoke on the newscast...we should make one small clarification. She is not our neighbor. She lives in another county and again, has never met us. But yet you make comments about acting like adults. Let's all be serious here.

To clarify our intentions...what we want is for the police to admit the situation was not handled properly and other actions could have been taken. This has been done. We want for the policies to be changed. That is being done. We want the MOPD to have the necessary equipment and training to handle animal calls. That is also being taken care of. We have spent hours with Chief Schroeder, Major Rhodes, and Mayor McDonald. We respect their decisions and appreciate their kindness and civility, which is more than can be said for some of you.

The truth is, Durham is dead. To those of you who had some sort of problem with him, problem solved right? Why still complain and moan? What else needs to be said? Your attacking people you do not even know. We are not attacking the MOPD. We have already begun planning a fundraiser for them to help pay for the equipment. Did you all know that? Probably not. As far as the officer is concerned, we can only imagine how he feels. We know how we would feel. We are not here attacking him. We have requested to speak with him...and not to scream or yell or anything of that nature.

If you would like to help raise money for a great cause, please let us know. If you want to be mean, find someone who cares to listen. It is time to stop talking and start helping make a change. To our parents, our friends (Meredith!), our co-workers, bosses, teachers, police officers, and everyone else who has been so supportive, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. It means more than we will ever be able to say, and we are doing everything we can to make sure this incident never repeats itself. Thank you!
colbywhit

Postby MountOliveNative on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Well, if you didn't want people to jump all over you then you should have kept your shut your mouth about it. I have heard two different stories coming from YOU according to your precious news article and WRAL. It seems as if you keep changing your story. If you can't take it, don't spit it out!

You don't go accusing someone of something and drag it all of media; you are only making yourself look like a fool!
MountOliveNative

PreviousNext

Return to Community Forum