Building a mosque a couple blocks away from the 9/11 site

Topics on the News-Argus opinion polls.
Forum rules
The Goldsboro News-Argus reserves the right to delete any posts deemed inappropriate or off-topic.

Building a mosque a couple blocks away from the 9/11 site

Postby News-Argus on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:42 pm

What do you think about the request to build a mosque a couple blocks away from the 9/11 site in New York?

Vote on the related poll, then discuss the issue here.
News-Argus
Site Admin

Re: Building a mosque a couple blocks away from the 9/11 site

Postby pullen978807 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Let me begin by noting that the attack against the United States on 9/11 was tragic. On that date 19 members of the al-Qaeda terrorist network hijacked multiple planes and crashed them into several buildings including those that once stood were ground zero is currently located. When everything unfolded a little under 3,000 Americans lost their lives as a result of this grand act of cowardice.

Now, approximately 9 years following the attack a Muslim-American group wants to build a mosque, the Islamic place of worship in close proximity to ground zero and a majority of Americans feel as if they should not be permitted to build the mosque in the planned location. I disagree. I think that anyone who does have the control to force them to relocate will probably be sued if they exert such influence. The group is private owners of the property that they purchased and have the legal right to construct whatever building structure they see fit to construct. The First Amendment does have a clause, which guarantees freedom of religion.

America has a problem with people of the Islamic faith. America has an Islamophobia problem. I posted a link of a conservative man suggesting that we place a moratorium on the construction of mosques in the United States. WHY WOULD ANYONE SUPPORT THE VIOLATION OF OTHERS CIVIL LIBERTIES? We need to address the problem of anti-Muslim sentiment so that we can move forward as a nation. I was looking up some statistics regarding American’s perceptions of Islamic adherents and they do not paint a pretty picture, with regards to tolerance and progress. See statistics below…

1. 38% of Americans would be reluctant to vote for a well-qualified Muslim (Pew Forum of Religion and Public Life, 2003)
2. 43 percent of Americans acknowledge personal prejudice against Muslims (Amaney Jamal, assistant professor of Politics at Princeton University)
3. 44% of Americans support curbing some civil liberties of Muslim-Americans (Cornell University)
4. 27% favor having Muslim-Americans register where they live with the federal government (Cornell University)
5. 29% support the infiltration of Muslim civic and volunteer organizations by undercover federal agents (Cornell University)

Last week President Obama issued a statement expressing support of the right of the Muslim group to build the mosque in the current location. President Obama noted “Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country… This is America and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are. The writ of our Founders must endure.”

I agree with you Mr. President. This group is building a mosque not a terrorist training camp. Please, let us not attempt to violate their civil liberties. Let us not politicize this moment. The balkanizing must stop. Islamophobia must end. This is the United States of America, the most diverse and multicultural nation in the world. A majority of Americans do not support the mosque presence near ground zero. I am in the minority. We have to do better people!

Conservative activist calls for nationwide mosque moratorium

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/co ... moratorium
pullen978807

Postby jccooper on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:25 pm

I believe that the Muslim population is well within their legal boundaries to build this mosque, however, if this is really about improving relations then wouldn't it be better to form a commission and get the input of the American people to figure out other options before having this thing built? The idea of this Mosque has already upset many Americans, I believe, if this is really about improving relations we all work together to find a solution.
jccooper

Postby pullen978807 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:02 pm

I think the plan that you are suggesting would be an excellent idea in theory. If such a forum or commission would exist, a majority of Americans would bring to the table preconceptions about individuals who practice the Islamic faith. These preconceptions would basically render any meeting/reconciliation attempt useless. I think we have to work to shatter stereotypes prior to any attempt at reconciliation; this will be a very difficult process.

"More than 4 in 10 Americans say they have an unfavorable view of Muslims, many more than those who say they have a negative view of Catholics, Protestants, Jews or Mormons, the poll found. And nearly half say Islam is more likely than other religions to encourage violence against nonbelievers."

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... -of-islam/
pullen978807

Postby Lucy on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:56 pm

But doesn’t the stereotype label work both ways? Aren’t there polls that show many Muslims often have a dim view of Americans? What would be wrong for the organization that wants to build the mosque to step back and say, “Hey, you’re right. Most Americans are sensitive and there is still much pain involved in the memories of 9/11. We’re going to relocate and in the meantime really show we mean it when we say we want to improve relations.” It would be the last thing many people would expect them to do and shatter the stereotype that Muslims only want to conquer America.
Lucy

Postby pullen978807 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Great point! The hostility is mutual. I personally need to open up a history book to better understand the strained relationship between Islam and Western Society. As far as relocating the mosque, that's a call that Imam Rauf has to make. I recognize that the family members of 9/11 victims have requested that the mosque be relocated. In the end the Imam and his organization's board members have to make the choice. They won't be in the wrong whether they decide to stay or move. It's a private choice and American's have to accept it, regardless of what they may feel about it. It is OK for Americans to voice their opposition; however, I've been watching the news and several activists have mounted an all-out assault on the religion of Islam that is not warranted. As far as conquering America, Muslim-Americans are only .05% of the population. The stereotype is unfounded and should not even need to be shattered.
pullen978807

Postby GKCWANNABE on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Pullen918807, you stated that the American stereotype against Islam is unfounded, but I disagree. The 9/11 attacks were perpetrated by Muslims in the name of their Islamic faith. Thankfully you’re reasonable enough to see that these extremists did not represent the entire Islamic faith in their actions, but there are many other American citizens who do not share this view. They see the building of this mosque as an in your face move by the Islamic community. Many Americans are not at a point where their thinking is being ruled by reason but rather by emotion. As a result, the building of this mosque will only increase the animosity between Americans and Muslims, and it will only serve to feed the irrational stereotypes that you accuse the majority of Americans of harboring.

Now I agree that the decision of whether or not to relocate the mosque is up to Imam Rauf, but if his motivation for building it is to improve American-Muslim relations, wouldn’t he stand a much better chance of attaining his goal by relocating the mosque? Had it not been for the 9/11 attacks, I highly doubt this issue would even be debated. Many Americans are of the mindset that the Muslims started this rift between us and them, and as far as Americans are concerned it’s the Muslim community’s turn to make concessions.
GKCWANNABE

Postby pullen978807 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:36 am

I see where you are coming for GKC.The reason that I said the stereotype is unfounded is because I, as you stated, am "reasonable enough to see that" those "extremist did not represent the entire Islamic faith in their actions." I am well aware that many Americans don't share my view, and this is what fuels that antagonistic relationship between Islam and the Western World. After days of debating relatives, friends, and since today, News Argus viewers, I'll make one concession. Attempts at reconciliation would be better served if Imam Rauf reaches out to American dissenters and relocate the mosque at a greater distance from ground zero. I think an even better decision would be forgoing the construction of a mosque, and instead building an Interfaith religious center (at the current location), with the aim of promoting positive interactions between individuals from a variety of religious traditions. Now for a little psychology 101: Psychologists who research stereotypes and prejudices have developed a hypothesis referred to as the "contact hypothesis." According to contact hypothesis, when groups in conflict remain at a distance from each other prejudices and stereotypes are exacerbated. It is only through direct, and positive contact that different groups are able to rid themselves of such prejudices and stereotypes. I think a documented success of the contact hypothesis is the progress that America has made with regards to race relations. Although some Blacks and White are still stuck in the past, since the 1960s many Blacks and Whites have been able to let go of the negative, generalizations that they held towards individuals of a different race. I think that there has not been substantive interactions between Islam and Christian, Western society. If Imam Rauf relocates, that necessary interaction will still be lacking. That is why I argue for the interfaith center. It'll be great for the nation. Can you imagine the press coverage? Christians, Muslims, and Jews hold weekly interfaith services only 2 blocks from ground zero. That would be true reconciliation; although, it may just be wishful thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_hypothesis

On another note, an interfaith coalition of religious leaders from various religious traditions have come out to support the mosque construction near ground zero.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/20/califo ... index.html
pullen978807

Postby pullen978807 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Mosque near ground zero divides Sept. 11 relatives

by Samantha Gross (associated press)

NEW YORK – Talat Hamdani traveled to Mecca to pray that her missing son, an EMT, was safe in the days after 9/11. She held out hope that his Muslim background had led to his detention as a suspect, considering it better than the alternative.

When part of his body was returned to her — his lower half shattered into 34 pieces — it was final proof he had indeed been killed when Islamic extremists brought down the World Trade Center. As Americans take sides over plans to build an Islamic cultural center and mosque blocks away, Hamdani says it feels personal.

"Why are we paying the price? Why are we being ostracized? Our loved ones died," she said at her Lake Grove, N.Y., home. "America was founded on the grounds of religious freedom," and opposition to the cultural center "is un-American. It's unethical. And it is wrong."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_nyc_mosqu ... Nwc3Rvcg--
pullen978807

Postby Lucy on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:47 pm

There is an article entitled “Islam in Two Americas” by Ross Douthat in the NY Times. I think he makes some excellent points. I was wondering your opinion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/opini ... yt&emc=rss

I wonder sometimes if the stereotypes that exist in the West concerning Muslims might not be attributed partly to a lack of strong public denunciation among Muslim leaders when acts of terror are committed by Islamic extremists. There may very well be denunciations made but we don’t often hear about them in the press. Oftentimes silence gives the impression of approval in a lot of peoples' minds.
Lucy

Next

Return to News-Argus Poll Topics