Power shift in the U.S. House

Topics on the News-Argus opinion polls.
Forum rules
The Goldsboro News-Argus reserves the right to delete any posts deemed inappropriate or off-topic.

Power shift in the U.S. House

Postby News-Argus on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:29 pm

What are you most afraid of as the power shifts in the U.S. House?

Vote on the related poll, then discuss the issue here.
News-Argus
Site Admin

Re: Power shift in the U.S. House

Postby Lucy on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:23 pm

I am concerned that the partisanship and the angry rhetoric will continue and nothing of substance will get accomplished. I am hopeful Washington wakes up and truly works for the good of the nation and not just the special interest groups.
Lucy

Postby pullen978807 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:24 am

pullen978807

Postby dougsaf on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Has anyone noticed how the rising price of gas has coincided with the Republicans taking back control of congress. Just wait until the summer.
Look at the old posts from 2008 about the prices of gas when Republicans were in power. Then after the election of President Obama you saw gas prices drop back down. Even the spill in the gulf didn't cause prices to spike or move at all. Then the Republicans were restored to power in Nov. 2010 and gas has been going up since. Oil Compaines have their friends back where they want them and the working class and middle class will soon be catching hell at the pumps again.
dougsaf

Postby pullen978807 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 pm

By seizing control of the House of Representatives in the midterm election, the Republicans fundamentally altered the congressional agenda. While I think that in the long run the likely result of this takeover will be more partisan bickering and congressional gridlock; this takeover has boosted the courage of the Democratic party and enabled them to achieve some key legislative victories this month. From the repeal of the discriminatory military policy that prohibited openly gay and [censored] American citizens from serving in the United States armed forces to providing 9/11 first responders with health insurance, the Democrats with the aid of very few members in the Republican congressional caucus have passed several important pieces of legislation. Having said that, I feel as if the Republicans and Democrats still remain largely divided on issues like health reform, and immigration reform. These divisions have cut so deep that it has caused those in the minority party to obstruct via counter-majoritarian congressional rules. I feel as if it is important for Republicans and Democrats to come together on issues like climate change, immigration reform, and health policy. Debate is healthy; however, after some point debate must end and a vote has to come to the floor. It makes no sense for a piece of legislation to have the support of a majority of congressional members, but not be able to pass because a minority of congressional members do not allow it to come to a floor vote. We saw this with the Dream Act, a very important piece of legislation that would have provided 3 million residents of the United States with pathway to citizenship in exchange for military service or educational attainment. The Dream Act was an innovative, immigration reform policy that the Republicans along with our own Democratic Senator, Kay Hagan voted to deny cloture. The elimination of counter-majoritarian rules will do much to encourage bipartisanship because the minority party will recognize that it has more to gain through compromise rather than obstruction. However, for the past two years all we have seen is Republican obstruction at a cost of 175K per congressman. This is not good for the country.
pullen978807

Postby HeavenScent on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:04 am

There is no longer such a thing as "Power Shift". They're ALL on the same TEAM and have been since the 1960's. Wake Up people. We've been HAD. I know it hurts some of you but the GAME is just over. I wonder now where that THREAD is that i posted here not too long ago explaining the true meaning of the MOVIE the WIZARD of OZ??? Some folks need to find it and read it again. Some are not only still ASLEEP but in a COMA state.

They're almost better than a VIDEO GAME! :lol: . Look at them. Not even a Republican candidate in the running that's strong enough to beat a LYING component. The OBAMA-NATION machine is in full swing now. Where are the OPPONENTS? They're all JOKES. But remember! They're ALL on the same TEAM folks. :lol: Ready to bow out now? It's a GAME folks, just a game. :) . Better "follow the yellow brick road".
HeavenScent

Return to News-Argus Poll Topics