Republicans presidential candidates

Topics on the News-Argus opinion polls.
Forum rules
The Goldsboro News-Argus reserves the right to delete any posts deemed inappropriate or off-topic.

Republicans presidential candidates

Postby News-Argus on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:49 am

If you had to pick today, for whom would you cast your vote in the Republican campaign for the nomination for president of the United States?
1. Newt Gingrich
2. Herman Cain
3. Ron Paul
4, Michelle Bachmann
5. Mitt Romney
6. Rick Perry
7. Rick Santorum

Vote on the related poll, then discuss the issue here.
News-Argus
Site Admin

Re: Republicans presidential candidates

Postby pullen978807 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:17 pm

I am not particularly impressed by any of the candidates that the Republican Party has to offer. It is kind of sad that after four years of profound opposition to the Obama Administration, the GOP has been unable to put forth a presidential nominee, who can offer up viable and sound alternatives to the policy preferences of the Obama Administration. It is OK to disagree with the President and to suggest that President Obama’s policies have not been the best ones for moving this nation forward; however, you cannot do this and at the same time be unable to articulate one’s own plan for resolving the pressing issues that we currently face as a nation. I think the more appropriate question(s) is not whom one will vote for, but why would one vote for the candidate that one has in mind? What types of policies are they advocating, and how will such policies improve the nation?

Let’s take a quick look at the economic proposals of the frontrunners, Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney. The 2012 race will be won on the economic front.

Newt Gingrich: One of the most pressing issues that the nation currently faces is its budget deficit. We are literally days away from passing the point at which this nation will have accumulated more than 15 trillion dollars in debt. The problem is that Newt Gingrich’s economic proposals are ones that impede the ability of this nation to generate the type of revenues necessary to prevent the further swelling of our national debt. First, Newt Gingrich supports a permanent extension of the Bush-era tax cuts, which non-partisan think tanks such as the Center for Budget Policies and Priorities have proven contributes significantly to the annual budget deficit, and would by 2019, be the single largest contributor to the nation’s public debt. Moreover, Newt Gingrich proposes an additional revenue slashing policy in the form of a significant reduction in the corporate tax rate; he would like to slash the corporate tax rate to 12.5%. Gingrich also supports a flat tax of 15%, again another revenue decreasing policy proposal. In addition to Gingrich’s revenue-stripping policies, the presidential candidate has come out in favor of the repeal of Dodd-Frank, a financial regulatory bill that was crafted with the intentions of preventing another financial crisis. What’s wrong with a bill that restricts banks' activities, provides much tougher scrutiny than that which allowed the recent financial crisis, and establishes a consumer protection agency to prevent the American people from the type of predatory lending, which helped induce the economic crisis. On top of this, Gingrich has announced that he is in favor of a balanced-budget amendment. Can you imagine the implications of revenue slashing legislation coupled with the requirement of spending less than the amount of tax revenue collected? What essential programs will we cut? Newt’s economic proposals may sound good to conservatives, but the practical consequences of his economic proposals equal bad governance.

Mitt Romney: Romney’s tax policy has been reduced to a three-word slogan “fairer, flatter, and simpler.” Mitt Romney’s tax policy is more fiscally prudent, and revenue-neutral than Newt Gingrich’s policy proposal. Romney’s tax proposal consists of maintaining the current personal income tax rates and tax rates for interests, dividends, and capital gains. Romney also proposes an elimination of the death tax, and a reduction in the corporate tax rate, but only to 25%. The fundamental assumption made by candidate Romney regarding economic recovery and job creation in the United States is that reduced taxes, spending cuts, and the elimination of regulation and government programs can be more beneficial than harmful.

The 2012 Election is going to be one in which two individuals, presidential candidates, will put forth an economic agenda and plan for putting Americans back to work, and one will be the winner. While the two Republican Party frontrunners have pieced together a nice, conservative sounding policy platform, they must take a step back and consider the economic and budgetary implications of these policies. The current economic predicament demands strong countercyclical economic policy; a type of policy designed to mitigate the negative effects of this economic downturn. With unemployment high and a slow economic recovery, and with a government in possession of the tools necessary to prompt a more forceful economic recovery, one must wonder whether or not government should use the tools at its disposal to help lessen the burden that Americans are currently facing. According to Michael Feroli, the chief U.S economist for JP Morgan & Chase, “a reduction in government spending, the end of the payroll-tax holiday and an expiration of extended unemployment benefits would cut GDP by 1.7 percent in 2012.” What we need is prudent economic policy, not political economic policy. The GOP candidates are just not giving us what we need.

The GOP has failed to put forth “a presidential” presidential candidate for the nation’s highest office. With less than a week before the Iowa Caucus, the field is essentially locked. I could not vote for any of the candidates. However, I think that Mitt Romney has the best chance at defeating Obama in November. If Romney can secure the nomination, and puts the junior U.S Senator from Florida, Marco Rubio, on the bottom of the ticket, this would put into play the Latino vote in a way that may prove favorable for the Republican Party’s electoral prospects. Remember, President Obama received the support of nearly two out of three Latino voters in 2008. The GOP is already expected to make significant gains amongst independent voters, and blue-collar white voters. Moreover, turnout amongst the youth-vote and the black vote, two primarily Democratic constituencies, may not be as high in 2012 as it was in 2008 because of dwindling enthusiasm for the President. So there are ways that the GOP can win some of the key battleground states such as PA, OH, FL, VA, NC, CO and secure the Presidency [fingers cross that it does not]; I think that the GOP chances decreases significantly if Republican Primary voters should nominate Newt Gingrich. The latest RealClearPolitics average of general election polls have President Obama defeating Romney, 47.1 to 44.6 and Gingrich by a much larger margin, 50.2 to 41.3.

http://www.marquispullen.com
pullen978807

Postby HeavenScent on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Wow, what a LIST! Is this ALL that America has to offer us? Same ole same ole, huh? Oh well, i reckon some folks don't know when it's ALL over. I don't see or hear any of that ole ENTHUSIASM this time around as it was in the previous ELECTION, even for Obama. I think the PEOPLE know for sure this time around that it's all basically GAME. :lol:

It's sad in a way that this country has come to such, that the PEOPLE have no faith in almost anyone anymore. :( The Blacks are walking around these days more DISILLUSIONED than they were BEFORE the Obama election and SOME Whites too. It's just SAD all the way around. The so-called LEADERS of this nation have really screwed UP. :roll: These Politicians all same the SAME things, which is ANYTHING to get into office, afterwards, it's like, KISS MY [censored]! :lol: But these are the so-called LEADERS of this country right? Okay. They don't give a DAMN about the Masses at all, the Backbone of this country. We're the Nobodies, truth be told. :roll: They're RICH and don't have a CARE in the world. These are the Candidates that Americans continue to VOTE into office, to rule over them. Like i've always said, this Nation hasn't had a REAL president since John F. Kennedy. That was in the 1960's! He was the LAST PRESIDENT i call him.

All of these Candidates are OUT of TOUCH with the PEOPLE. How can they be IN TOUCH when they don't know what it is to merely Work for a Living, worry about gas prices, their children's education, their parents welfare. There is NO CONNECTION at all. And what do the MASSES do? They go to the POLLS every election year and put these SAME type of Clowns in office over and over again, simply because they FEEL they're obligated to VOTE and although they KNOW the selection is awful, they vote anyhow, as if they have no CHOICE. They HAVE a choice. They just don't CHOOSE to exercise it. They SETTLE for the LESSOR of two EVILS.......

HeavenScent
HeavenScent

Postby HeavenScent on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:01 pm

The FACE of AMERICA has changed. :( That AMERICA we once knew is NOT coming back. In a way, truth be told, it's OVER for the America we knew. Obama promised CHANGED. Well, he has LIVED up to that SLOGAN hasn't he, because that is all that it was, a SLOGAN to WIN and it's sad. I don't see people running out to the POLES this election to vote. I think the PEOPLE are truly TIRED of being taken, being had. I think the PTB have underestimated the love, peace and energy of the American People....and don't forget Governor Perdue. She did North Carolina a grave dis-service and she should be ASHAMED of herself. :evil: These so-called PUBLIC SERVANTS appear to be MORE than meets our EYES.....are they SERVANTS are something else altogether? Could they merely be the HAVES against the HAVE NOTS??? ;)

HeavenScent
HeavenScent

Return to News-Argus Poll Topics