How do you feel about the latest increase in gas prices?

Tell us what you think
Forum rules
The Goldsboro News-Argus reserves the right to delete any posts deemed inappropriate or off-topic.

Re: How do you feel about the latest increase in gas prices?

Postby dougsaf on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:46 pm

I don't know if this will answer some of your questions jbreault . The US. average for Gasoline taxes (combined local,states,fed.) is 49.4 cents per gallon . The Fed. tax on gasoline is 18.4 cent The Fed. tax on diesel is 24.4 cent .
North Carolina was at 48.6 cent which is less than the national avg.,New Hampshire is at 38 cent. The Lowest state is Alaska at 26.4 cent and the Highest is California at 74.9 cent . Going by your brother paying $3.58 for mid grade which is usually 10 cents higher than reg. unleaded we got gouged by about 50cent per gallon .
Wayne County is not always the highest in the state sometimes our prices are some of the cheapest in the state and they are usually always cheaper than Lenoir County.
Yet non of this excuses the oil companies from speculating and colluding and being greedy pigs !
dougsaf

Postby NCjones on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Having read all the posts I am amazed at teh level of ignorance in Wayne County. None of the theories are correct. George Bush isn't some oil baron in disguise, and the oil companies aren't making the billions that they COULD. Petroleum in a consumer-driven product. If you want the prices to come down then QUIT buying so much.

If you review the oil companies returns for the year, you will see that they profit about .05 cents per gallon of gasoline sold. That is riduculous. It should be over $1 if it were comarable to other companies markup. This is why we haven't seen a new refinery built in American in over 20 years. That is the LOWEST profit margin of any company in America! Why don't you whine when Buswieser marks up it's beer 300%, or Coca-Cola's profit margin is over 225%? The fact is that gasoline is the CHEAPEST, per markup, of any product we buy. It's not Exxon's fault that the American consumer buys mearly 4 BILLION gallons of gas per month, giving them a huge profit. Quite Frankly, If I was the CEO of a oil company, I'd mark up my product just as much as every other company. Then when you were paying $12 per gallon you'd have something to whine about. AND, that wouldn't be "gouging" because the markup would still be less than other companies at only 100-125%.

If you want to take money out of the oil companies pocket, BUY LESS. But then, you'd still be hurting yourself since lower profits means cutting jobs, no growth, fewer employee benefits, poorer and older equipment, and ultimately a lower quality product.
NCjones

Postby VESCW on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:43 pm

I think maybe the Gas prices are the least of our worries with the FED bail outs. What were the representatives doing meeting at 830 Thursday? I think a lot of people are going to see a change in our country and Gas prices are only going to add to the trauma ahead
VESCW

Postby btorrusmc1 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Latest update from your local trucker, the issue with the gas/fuel prices doesn't have anything to do with the gas station it has to do with the people who they get there gas/deisel/kerosene from..... What I don't understand is why the further north I go the prices get worse or out west... on 9/19/08 the price on gas in South Carolina was $3.46 a gallon and this was after the hurricane but after I crossed the state line into North Carolina it was $4.19 a gallon in the Lumberton area on I-95. And it was even cheaper in GA, AL, and MS. The prices do have something to do with the bush administration but not all of the republicans and democrates If you look at the fact that he was in the oil business before he became president.. Hello.. he is from Texas and where does the majority of the crude oil come from???? Besides AK, and over seas... And who ever trusts OBAMA OR MCAIN is a fool.. When has anyone ever known anyone in politics to be totally honest. I am sorry if you trust (obama) then you are probably someone who laughs at the national anthem when it is played just as he did when he didn't place his hand over his heart and stand when it was played at so many of his rallies, and if you trust mcain well we will at least no what we are in store for someone that will be willing to fight for this country instead of standing by and laughing.... And not to mention that Obama is in for plenty of change and that is what you will have in your pockets when he is done changing all the tax laws, a whole bunch of nickles and dimes and maybe a few pennies left in your pocket... And do you think that he is going to change anything with the gas NO>>>> Where do you think he gets his extra cash (IMPORTS) and what is the major import in this country Crude oil. Take a look on-line at what the major import is in the chicago area ports where he is from and if you see the truth and don't change your mind then I as well as the rest of the country do not want to hear anymore whinning about taxes, gas, cigarettes, etc..... When he is done with his changes.... God bless all.
btorrusmc1

Postby dougsaf on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:58 pm

btorrusmc1 I can't believe how ignorant you sound . Spouting all those Sean Hannity talking points. You question the mans (Obama ) patriotism by continuing to tell those lies about him not standing or putting his hand over his heart for the National Anthem . If you look carefully he is the only Presidential Candidate who wears a flag pin. John McCain doesn't wear one . Does that mean McCain is not patriotic ? You need to stop with the lies ! If you think you'll be better off with 4 more yrs. of George Bush policies,vote for McCain. If you think you can do better and want the country to do better than I suggest you vote for Obama and change. You sound like a lady I was in line with 4yrs. ago at the polls . She said "I'm voting for George Bush." I said why ? She says " Well at least I know what I'm getting." To which I responded "yeah , Nothing " ! Vote McCain and keep paying these outrageous gas and diesel prices ,at least you know what your getting ! The oil companies rich !!!! :P
dougsaf

Postby btorrusmc1 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Okay I forgot somethings in my last post. 1st NCjones I honestly don't think you should be saying anything about the ignorance in Wayne County when you need to open your dictonary and learn to spell ""the"". 2nd Sharfo Why don't you get out of your little world and sell your SUV so you can buy a 4-cylinder and what is left over you can fill up that car/truck and go to the beach on vacation and while you are there you can get hooked on phonics. 3rd maggie and oldhounddog well let me be politically correct so I don't say something I shouldn't (what happened to the 5th Admendment) you are a fool, and you need to use your computer to research the history of the canidates. 4th jbreault you obviously have never been out of Wayne County and if you have I don't think it has been to far outside of the county. 5th poorboy that is really great why don't you just add to the problem why don't you make use of the mass transit system and get a full time job.. 6th and final, funtobegranny get your husband to read this to you and explain it because oviously you can't think for yourself it is RIGHT-WINGERS, and on that note I am not the one that should be explaining this to you, I am an american I do not agree with everything that goes on in this country especially in this county but I have learned to live with it. IF YOU WANT TO SAVE GAS LEARN TO DRIVE AND LEARN TO READ THE LITTLE LOGOS AT THE GAS STATION'S DOORS, if you want to slove the problem buy your fuel from gas stations that don't offer there products from exxon-mobile, shell, bp,texco, etc....(the BIG OIL companies), and if that is too complicated then if you pull up to the gas station and thier fuel truck is there and the side it reads ACME, ACE (they get thier gas from shell and bp), WINGER, EAGLE (they get thier gas from exxon-mobile), WILCO-HESS (they use bp and texco), POPE (is a contractor for exxon), and COASTAL (texco) just to name a few. If you have the time in your day you can look up the supplier of your favorite gas station on-line, if you don't know who supplies that store ask the clerk, and then look it up....This might help you in making your next fuel purchase choice, the cost might be a little more than the other's but your money will not go to the BIG OIL COMPANIES. Just a thought.
btorrusmc1

Postby NCjones on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:27 am

btorrusmc1

Before you start flaming about typos look in YOUR dictionary and learn how to spell candidates, obviously, solve, and theirs.
Since you are a USMC then you ought to know AMERICAN is always capitalized.
They also have some good basic grammar courses at the college where you will learn how to avoid run-on sentences, and you can learn where you need commas.

ou me a dumb grunt.

NCjones

Postby News-Argus on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:33 am

Please stay on topic and be respectful to others, people. Criticism is fine, but personal attacks will not be tolerated.
News-Argus
Site Admin

Postby scooter424 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 pm

i'm not trying to take up for the oil companies but i do haul gas for a gasoline carrier, and i can tell you that for right now branded gas(ex. exxon bp amoco) is cheaper than unbranded. so it doesn't mater where you buy your gas from right now you are more than likely using exxon or bp amoco gas.
scooter424

Postby WillifordC on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:36 pm

:o Gas prices will soon be the least of our worries with the FEDs bailing out everyone except us !!! This will definately be one of many problems that are bestowed upon us. Its going ot be a long hard ride
WillifordC

PreviousNext

Return to Community Forum