Mount Olive police shoot 'vicious' dog - Your opinion?

Tell us what you think
Forum rules
The Goldsboro News-Argus reserves the right to delete any posts deemed inappropriate or off-topic.

Mount Olive police shoot 'vicious' dog - Your opinion?

Postby News-Argus on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:13 pm

Share your thoughts on the Mount Olive Police Department's handling of the Labrador retriever.

Related stories:
- Mount Olive police shoot 'vicious' dog
- Mayor: Mount Olive officer made 'horrible mistake'
- Police stand behind officer's action

News-Argus
Site Admin

Re: Mount Olive police shoot 'vicious' dog - Your opinion?

Postby Me1977 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:54 pm

First of all, I would be really embarrassed to be the chief of M.O.P.D. I wouldn't want a coward on my force. I have no idea how the officer was able to pass the academy and become an officer if he is afraid of a dog. Especially a 45 lb yellow lab. I am a female and have been bitten a few times by my own dogs and never would I be afraid of a dog neverthe less shoot one. He isn't protecting the community if he has to shoot a dog for showing its teeth. One of my dogs does that all the time, should I be scared that this lunatic officer is going to shoot my dog? He needs to be taken off the force and sit behind a desk if he is so scared of what is out in the world. There are worse things out there than a lab showing its teeth. The neighbor tried to stop him and he ignored that. That is unacceptable. I can say this, if he was to come on my property and shoot my dog for showing its teeth, he would not walk away with a certain male part of his body left on him. Not a threat but a promise. I wonder if the cheif or the officer or anyone else that backs up the coward has ever heard of Karma. What comes around goes around. If he is married or has children, I would be so embarrassed to be one of them.
Sounds like Barney Fife hasn't had enough training since he thought that was procedure. Why not shoot some of these rapists, murderers, robbers etc. or is that not procedure, lets just give them another chance so they can do the same again.
Ms. Mangum, my heart goes out to your and your boyfriend. I am a huuuuge animal lover and think of my dogs and kitties as my children. I hope you take this to a further level and not let this wimp get away with his so called "procedure". He is a total loser and needs to return his uniform and badge or give it to someone with a heart. This officer obviously has no morals or respect for anyone especially putting an animal in a bag and leaving it by the road, not only is that disgusting but heartless and horrible, what if a child was to discover that?
I hope people stand up for the animals. I have never in my life lived in a community that didn't give respect to God's creatures. I thought this was the Bible Belt? I am from another state and have never witnessed such abuse till I moved here. But like I said what comes around goes around, the Lord is watching.
Ms. Mangum, stay strong and fight this till the end.
I could go on and on but there is probably no point, I'm sure that officer is out sitting in a parking lot waiting for his next call of a vicious dog. LOL! What a loser!
Me1977

Postby JLH4JDJ on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:59 pm

I really hope that this officer is fired and never allowed to have a gun again. I mean really a lab? I own two labs and when I was getting them I researched them. They are some of the most lovable and loyal dogs you could want. My two only bark because they want to play. I just wish weak people were not allowed to be police officers. If he is not fired then noone will have respect for the MOPD anymore. Why would they? Maybe for once law-enforcement will do the right thing.
JLH4JDJ

Postby mizphylis on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:03 pm

I think that the matter was wrongfully handled by the Mt. Olive Police Officer and the department. Sure they were doing their job by responding to a " call for assistance " but they did not investigate it enough to determine the ownership of the dog and just how " vicious " the dog was.. If that had been my "family member" , as so many of our pets are, that had been shot, I would have been devastated. Why should a dog, when you will not shoot someone breaking into a home or robbing a business..Any animal, 4 legged or 2 legged, that feels threatend, is surely going to show his teeth..I know I do, and I probably would bite you...Maybe the town, ought to re-evaluate their policy on animal control situations in town or rather how their officers handle them. My heart goes out to the young man that owned this pet..
mizphylis

Postby ghopkins on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:10 pm

the town fo mount olive should and demand that the officer be fired and the da should bring up charges on this officer i have a lab. and she would not harm anyone unless provoke into a fight and i can tell you this if this officer had done this to my dog you be interviewing me from behind bars thanks god i do not call mount olive my home town if this is the kind of officer you have maybe you should look at the whole dept including the chief my heart goes out to the couple for their lost.
ghopkins

Postby mocitizen on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:00 pm

It is very easy for people to judge the officer if you don't acutally know the dog. In most incidents labs are easy going, fun loving dogs, but that is not always the case. In fact, this dog was far from "fun loving" and he definately was not a "friendly neighborhood dog." My family lives in the same neighborhood as this dog. We have been run back in the house by the dog, it has scared our children, and came after my own dog. If the lady who reported the call felt threatened or felt she was going to be attacked I believe her. There have been many times when the dog got out of his pin and ran through the neighborhood barking and growling at people. This is not the first time police officers have been called in regards to this dog. News reports often tell only one side of the story so readers are quick to make a judgement call. It only shows our ignorace when we form an opinion of something before getting all the facts. As a Mt. Olive resident, I firmly stand by the officer's decision.
mocitizen

Postby scooter424 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:02 pm

i'm willing to sign a petition to have this officer fired
scooter424

Postby scooter424 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Colby
Clayton, NC Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it! |#5 5 hrs ago
Dear Stix-
I am Colby and this is my dog to whom you are referring. First and foremost, if you choose to make a post and make accusations and get involved, please have the (forgive my language) balls to use your name.
Second - there is no "typically" to Durham's nature. He was ALWAYS a sweet, good natured lab who NEVER so much as growled at ANYONE.
Third - I do not deny that there are two sides to every story. I do not deny that he got out of his pen. I do not deny that he was in the neighbor's yard. Fortunately for you, you were not there that evening, and I spoke to the person who called the police and she said the result was in no way her intention and she was so upset by what they were doing she left her house and went to a neighbor's house.
Fourth - The officer who came to speak to me that night was plain and simply rude. He was without feeling and had no regard for my pain or anyone else's whatsoever.
Fifth- Yes, Mike, my boyfriend IS currently in Canada and will be home in 9 days. He went home to visit family and take care of some things and now he will never see his best friend again.
Since you are able to jump all over people, you need to be able to take the same. I am not even denying that the entire Mount Olive police department is positive they had every "right" to do what they did. Maybe by all technicalities they did have every right. But if you can honestly tell me what they did WAS RIGHT then you have no more feeling or common sense than any of them.
One officer arrived originally and then called for a second officer. If the two of them together could not handle the dog, what are they going to do with a 250 lb angry man? And if they put their heads together and the best answer they could come up with was a shotgun, I unfortunately no longer feel safe in Mount Olive. and THOSE are the facts.
Colby Mangum
By the way, you made a few grammatical errors of your own. Colby
Clayton, NC Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it! |#6 5 hrs ago
Also Stix - the police have NEVER been called to my house about Durham CHASING anyone. I have another dog and I have admitted fully that people have called about her before. Because of her breed and size people are automatically wary of her which I completely understand. Her name is Bella and she is a 5 and 1/2 year old Rottweiler. If you ever met her, you would realize she too, is completely harmless. The only animal member of my household who may choose to bite is our 10lb Shi-Poo mix. And I have been told by members of the MOPD they would shoot him also if he was off the property acting in an aggressive manner. Great thought process don't you think?
scooter424

Postby DustinsRelative on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Hello everyone, I am Officer Sasser's relative and have submitted this to the newspaper and thought I would post it here.

Over the past two days I have been disgusted with the comments I have read about the man many of you call Officer Dustin Sasser. Everyone has been so quick to pass judgment on Officer Sasser by simply reading one part of the story. I am a very close relative of Dustin's, and while I cannot provide details to the case, I can attest to his character.

Since being in his mid-teens, Dustin has dedicated his life to helping others and keeping them safe. He became a volunteer firefighter, a position he still holds, at a young age and after close to 6 months of rigorous training at Coastal Plains, became a police officer in Mount Olive at the age of 21.

If you peek inside Dustin's bedroom at night, you'll see him sleeping on one side of his queen size bed and most likely see his loving dog, a full grown 90lb pit bull, on the other, often times sharing the same pillow.

Dustin then wakes up at 4:30 to get ready for his twelve hour shift that starts at 6:00, and fifteen hours later arrives back home at 7:00. He'll then get a shower and occasionally get a bite to eat before he jumps back in bed to do it all over again. This occurs up to five times a week. Hardly the routine of a normal 21 year old man.

The paper can only give one side of the story. The incident is still under investigation by the Mount Olive Police Department, which keeps Officer Sasser or the department from giving their side of the story. You do not know what, if any, instructions he was told by his commanding officer, or the whole scope of the situation.

Dustin, being the owner of a large dog and a dog lover himself, knows the signs of when a dog is truly being aggressive or making an attempt to play. He would never take a person or their pet's life unless he felt it was properly justified or was commanded to do so. He is a far cry from a trigger happy individual. He treats his career as a police officer with deep seriousness and the understanding of responsibility.

I kindly ask the community to wait until all the facts are laid out before they continue to assassinate a young man's character. He has never put himself in the line danger for the power of authority or asked for praise for doing so. We feel its the least you can do to hold off on passing judgment.

To the family of Durham, we can't express the sorrow we feel for the loss of your pet. We know what pets mean to a family and would have loved for the situation to turned out differently, if any way possible. We also know that we cannot bring back the life of your pet, but if a mistake was made we hope that the proper steps are taken to prevent it from ever happening again in the future.
DustinsRelative

Postby Lynn on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:08 pm

I sent an email reply to the News Argus after reading the Sunday edition article and took a copy to the police station for Chief Schroeder on Sunday evening. I signed my name and gave my address and phone number. I was on my front porch when the police officers arrived in two separate cars. I stood in my yard with the shaking neighbor who called the police about the dog. I observed the attempts the officers made to first locate the owner of the dog and then to coax the dog back into the pen with the other dog. I heard the officers warning each other not to get too close and the indication that the dog had charged at one of them. I saw the return to the car for the shotgun and jumped when a shot--then another rang out. I accompanied my neighbor back to her driveway and observed the demeanor of both young officers--they were visibly shaken and expressed that they did not want to do that (shoot the dog). I furnished the trash bags used to move the dog to be picked up and they stated that it would be picked up soon.
I am an animal lover and have a dog that I cannot allow to run loose because, while she is a real sweetie around me, I know that she is a potential biter. The dog that was shot ran around the neighborhood often, sometimes alone and sometimes with a black running mate. When told to "Go home," the black dog would flee; however the "blonde dog" would bark and growl with teeth showing and ears back and hair standing up on his back and come toward you. I have had this happen several times when the dog came under my carport to scarf up my cat's food. I have also observed this same dog bark and charge at an old man who lived where the lady who called the police now lives. This yard is a regular cut-through for the dogs when they are out.
The dogs are confined in a small kennel fence and it is a dog's nature to want to get out and run when they are sometimes allowed to do that by the owners. The dog was either turned out or got out on a regular basis. I have seen the dog running unattended and in violation of the town's dog ordinance many times. The dog has exhibited aggressiveness. We have small children in our neighborhood. We have to be responsible dog owners. The police officers could not just get back in their cars and drive away, leaving the dog to run free after making the efforts they did to find the owner and return the dog to its pen. The dog was aggressive and potentially dangerous. I am sorry that the dog met the fate it did, but the officers should not have to take the blame; it is the owner's responsibility.
Lynn

Next

Return to Community Forum