01/25/04 — Public record

View Archive

Public record

By News-Argus Staff
Published in News on January 25, 2004 2:01 AM

Second teen
faces sex charge

MOUNT OLIVE -- A second teen-ager in Wayne County has been charged with sex crimes.

Christopher Michael Caulk, 17, of Zach Drive in Mount Olive was charged with first-degree statutory sexual offense and placed under $50,000 bond.

Earlier in the week, Nathan Sean Francis Strang, 18, of Old Grantham Road was charged with two felony offenses involving a 12-year-old boy. The charges included first degree sexual offense and indecent liberties with a minor. His bond was set at $115,000.

The investigation began into reports of an assault against a 7-year-old boy, according to the Sheriff's Office. The investigation then revealed two more victims, both under age 10.

Caulk was charged. The investigators, led by Detective Sgt. Tammy Odom, then charged Strang.

Both teens are students at Southern Wayne High School. A spokesman for the Sheriff's Office said the offenses did not occur on school property.

Strang is ranked second in his senior class and last year was assistant chief marshal for graduation and attended Governor's School.

Dr. Steven Taylor, superintendent of schools, said, "Given the nature of the charges, the students will not be allowed to return to Southern Wayne High School until further notice."

Suspect charged
in December larceny

Police Investigator G.N. Lynch arrested Eddie R. Vann on Friday in connection with a vehicle break-in that happened in December on Beech Street. Vann was placed in the Wayne County Jail under a $9,000 secured bond for felonious breaking and entering a motor vehicle, and misdemeanor larceny.


The Goldsboro Police Department is investigating these reports:

*A video camera worth $1,000 was stolen Friday from a vehicle on Harding Drive. There was also $250 worth of damages done to the car.

*A 1999 Dodge Ram pickup truck, worth $16,000, was stolen Friday from a residence at Darby Road. The keys were left inside the vehicle.

*A report from two teachers at Goldsboro Middle School, alleging that a student assaulted them. According to the police report, the teachers tried to break up a fight between students at the school Friday afternoon. One of the juvenile students allegedly turned on the teachers, kicking and slapping them. The teachers are planning to file juvenile petitions.

Wayne County sheriff's deputies are investigating these reports:

*A juvenile at Charles B. Aycock School was reported to have shot a school bus at 8:15 Friday morning with a paint ball, causing $20 worth of damages. According to the report, the 15-year-old from Pikeville will have juvenile charges filed against him.

*Billy Mosley Kornegay of U.S. 13 South reported having six different kinds of guns stolen, worth $4,000, from his residence. There was also $250 worth of damage done to mobile home. Nothing else was taken except guns.

*A vehicle was reported stolen Friday from the edge of U.S. 117 and Old Mount Olive Highway. It was a 1993 Ford Thunderbird, valued at $4,000. The owner said the car had broken down, but it was gone when he returned to retrieve it.


*An accident Friday afternoon in Goldsboro caused several people to end up at Wayne Memorial Hospital, but their condition is un-known.

Walter Junior Artis, 64, of National Drive, had $1,000 worth of damage done to his 1978 Ford and Betty Colie Walker, 58, LaGrange, had $4,000 worth of damages done to her 1994 Mitsibishi. The accident happened on Ash and Madison Streets, towards Jefferson Street. It was not known whether any charges would be filed.

*Gary Hank Williams, 35, of Smithfield, was charged with failure to see before turning from a direct line after an accident occurred Friday on Berkeley Boulevard and Cashwell Drive towards Graves Street.

Williams' 1997 Nissan sustained $8,500 worth of damages, while the 2000 KIA,
driven by Andrew Maria Bouchard, 36, of Sausalita, Calif., had $2,500 worth of damages. The drivers and two passengers were transported to the hospital, but the extent of their injuries was not known.

pleads guilty

A Kinston accountant pleaded guilty Thursday to misdemeanor charges filed by the N.C. Department of Revenue.

Lloyd Council Folks, 58, of 214 East Fire Tower Road, Greenville, entered guilty pleas to four counts of failure to file North Carolina individual income tax returns.

Folks, a certified public accountant practicing in Kinston, failed to file state tax returns from 1998-2001, despite earning sufficient income to do so, the state charged. Before appearing in court, Folks filed the delinquent returns and paid the taxes due to the Revenue Department.

District Court Judge Kristin H. Ruth gave Folks a 45-day suspended jail sentence and placed him on unsupervised probation for 24 months. He was ordered to perform 100 hours of community service in the first 12 months of probation, pay a $1,000 criminal fine and court costs.