Rhodes drops appeal
By Barbara Arntsen
Published in News on February 9, 2004 2:02 PM
Former Goldsboro Councilman J.B. Rhodes has dropped an appeal of his election defeat to Jimmy Bryan.
The decision ends a three-month process that involved recounts and overturned results.
It also clears the way for Bryan, who was sworn in to the seat in District 1 on Monday, to serve the full four-year term.
"I think I've done enough, and I'm going to let it go," Rhodes said today. "They gave me a dirty deal, but I'm just going to let it go."
Rhodes said money was one of the reasons he decided to drop the appeal. "I've already paid $2,200 to my lawyer and owe another $1,000," he said. "Then he wanted $2,800 more. I only collected $45 in donations."
The former councilman said he felt good about the time he served the city, and thought that "Goldsboro was a better place because of me."
Louis Jordan, Rhodes' lawyer, filed a dismissal in Wake County Superior Court for Rhodes' appeal.
Gary Bartlett, director of the state Elections Board, confirmed that his office had been informed that Rhodes chose not to take the case forward.
Rhodes was initially declared the winner in the Nov. 4 city election. The Wayne County Elections Board learned of errors in the count and held a recount.
In that recount Rhodes ended up losing by one vote. He appealed that decision to the state board, which upheld the county board's results. The state board also said Bryan was to be sworn in on the council.
Rhodes filed an appeal in Wake County Superior Court and asked the judge to block Bryan's swearing in. The judge ruled against him.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families