02/26/04 — Public records

View Archive

Public records

By Jack Stephens
Published in News on February 26, 2004 1:57 PM

High-speed chase

A 31-year-old man from Goldsboro was arrested before dawn today by Goldsboro police after a high-speed chase and charged with numerous traffic, weapons and drug offenses.

Police Officer T.L. Collins said he saw a car speeding on Clingman Street and tried to stop it. The driver sped away.

The driver made a wide right turn from Beal Street onto Pine Street and lost control of the 1992 Mercury, Collins said. The car ran off the right side and struck a telephone pole. The driver fled but was captured after a brief chase.

The driver, Chicarno Lasale Raynor of Edgerton Street, was charged with felony fleeing to elude arrest and four traffic misdemeanors -- failure to heed blue lights and siren, hit and run, no liability insurance and reckless driving.

After a further investigation, Raynor also was charged with three criminal felony offenses -- possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana, possession of a stolen handgun and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon -- and resisting arrest. He was placed in the Wayne County Jail in lieu of a $53,000 secured bond.

The car that Raynor was driving was registered to Jai Keiunna Kornegay of Breazeale Avenue in Mount Olive. Damage was estimated at $50 to the 1992 Mercury and $50 to the phone pole.

Drug charges

Two people were arrested before dawn today and charged with numerous felony drug offenses after Goldsboro police investigated a suspicious car in a motel parking lot.

Jona D. Thorsteinsson, 32, of Everittsville Road, Dudley, and Randy Edward Gray, 35, of Firetower Road, LaGrange, were charged with trafficking in cocaine by possession, trafficking in cocaine by transporting, maintaining a vehicle for the purpose of keeping and selling cocaine, conspiracy to traffic in cocaine by possession and conspiracy to traffic in cocaine by transporting.

Ms. Thorsteinsson also was charged with driving while her license was revoked, and she was picked up on an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in court on a previous charge.

Ms. Thorsteinsson and Gray were arrested outside of the Carolina Motel at 2316 N. William St. Each was placed in the Wayne County Jail in lieu of a $60,000 secured bond.


Wayne County sheriff's deputies are investigating these reports:

*An estimated $7,750 worth of furniture was stolen between Dec. 13 and Wednesday from a rental storage locker at 2052 U.S. 117 South, sheriff's deputies said. The renter, April M. Garnish of Goldsboro, reported the theft of a bedroom set, a washer, a dryer, a teakwood and marble desk, a dining room table and four chairs, a blue couch and love seat, a television, a coffee table and two end tables. The thief pried open the door to enter the locker, deputies said.

*A television, a cable TV receiver, a computer monitor and a printer were stolen between Saturday and Wednesday after a door was damaged at a home in the 200 block of Doug Drive near Dudley, deputies said. The resident, James Thomas Laws, put a $470 value on his property.

*A red Yamaha four-wheeler was stolen Wednesday from the 100 block of Kelway Drive, deputies said. The resident, Jamie L. Blanchard, said it was worth $4,500.

Goldsboro police are investigating these reports:

*A 12-gauge shotgun, a television and about $10 were stolen between Monday and Wednesday after a window was shattered at a home in the 900 block of Seventh Street, police said. The resident, Clyde Melvin Mitchell, estimated his property's value at $340.

Attempted rape

A 38-year-old man, sought by authorities since last March on a charge of attempted second-degree rape, was found Wednesday in an apartment on Astor Court in Goldsboro after an anonymous call to Goldsboro-Wayne County Crime Stoppers.

William Billy Bowden Jr., who did not disclose a home address, was arrested by Goldsboro Police Officer Mike Green, turned over to the Wayne County Sheriff's Office and charged with the felony offense. Bowden was placed in the Wayne County Jail in lieu of a $10,000 secured bond. Sheriff's Detective Sgt. Dusty Johnson was the lead investigator.