02/29/04 — Norwayne Middle School student dies in house fire

View Archive

Norwayne Middle School student dies in house fire

By Barbara Arntsen
Published in News on February 29, 2004 2:13 AM

A 12-year-old girl died in a house fire on Kimberly Lane shortly after midnight on Saturday morning.

The house, located north of Goldsboro off of Stoney Creek Church Road, was engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived.

They discovered the body of Angleque Blair Long, a student at Norwayne Middle School, in her bedroom closet.

"This is an absolute tragedy for the entire community," said Sheriff Carey A. Winders. "The loss of a child, especially under these types of circumstances, is very hard to understand. Our prayers and sympathy go out to the family, friends and fellow students."

According to a press release issued by the Wayne County Sheriff's Office, firefighters received the call at 12:04 a.m.

Firefighters from Saulston, Patetown, and Belfast fire departments responded to the call.

They were told that a child was still in the home, but efforts to rescue her were unsuccessful. The State Bureau of Investigation has been called in to investigate the fire, but the press release said there was no indication of foul play.

The preliminary investigation said that the victim's parents, Christopher and Rhonda Long, were awakened by a fire alarm in the home.

Long attempted to rescue his daughter from her bedroom, but was driven away by the flames. Mrs. Long ran to a neighbor's house to call 911.

Winders said that the parents of the child were staying with Wayne County Deputy Clytee Hawley and her husband, Charles.

"The victim was the niece of Deputy Hawley," Winders said.

She played in the Norwayne Saturday Basketball League and played the clarinet in the Norwayne Middle School band.