04/18/04 — Man charged after argument ends in murder

View Archive

Man charged after argument ends in murder

By Matt Shaw
Published in News on April 18, 2004 2:02 AM

There has been a correction to this story:
This article incorrectly states that a murder, for which Marcus Dominique Moore was charged, occurred on Saturday. The shooting of Johnathan D. Yarborough was Friday. Moore was arrested on the charge on Saturday.

An argument early Saturday morning between two convicted drug dealers ended with one man shot to death and the other charged with murder.

Goldsboro police arrested Marcus Dominique Moore, 24, of 511 Denmark St., at noon Saturday and charged him in connection with the death of Jonathan D. Yarborough outside Moore's home.

Investigators believe the two men were arguing in front of Moore's residence around 1:30 a.m. Saturday when Moore shot Yarborough and then fled. There was no indication that drugs or alcohol were involved in the argument, police said.

Yarborough, 26, formerly of Devereaux Street, died at the scene.

Police investigator Mike Moore and forensic officer Linda Kessler responded to the crime scene. They were assisted by John Rea of the State Bureau of Investigations and other SBI agents.

The police department issued an arrest warrant Saturday morning for Marcus Moore, asking that he be considered armed and dangerous.

But Moore was arrested by Capt. J.D. Coghill without incident. He was charged with murder and placed in the Wayne County Jail without the possibility of bail. His first court appearance will be Monday morning.

Both the accused and the victim had extensive criminal histories, according to newspaper and N.C. Department of Correction records.

Marcus Moore was convicted in 1997 of breaking and entering vehicles and served four months in prison. In 2001, he was arrested for assault inflicting serious injury, a conviction resulting in a suspended sentence and probation.

In 2002, he was arrested by Goldsboro police and charged with attempting to sell three grams of cocaine. He was convicted that December and served almost three months in prison.

Other charges against Moore have included assault on a female, second-degree trespass and resisting arrest.

Jonathan Yarborough was convicted in 1995 of receiving stolen goods. He was convicted twice the next year -- once for carrying a concealed weapon, the other for possession of cocaine with intent to sell and deliver -- and served six months in the county jail.

In 1999, he was convicted of assault on a law enforcement officer and injury to real property after he allegedly assaulted two Goldsboro police officers. Officers J.B. Bradshaw and Trey Ball said Yarborough struck them. Later, he damaged a wall in the police department's interview room. Yarborough received a suspended sentence.

In 2000, Yarborough was convicted of trafficking in cocaine and sentenced to 35-42 months in prison. He was first at Neuse Correctional Institute and then a Craven County prison from December 2000 until last November.

He also faced various assault, marijuana and trespassing charges over the years.