City Council to consider raises for employees
By Matt Shaw
Published in News on February 6, 2005 9:03 AM
Goldsboro employees could receive a cost-of-living raise this week, their first in three years.
At its meeting Monday, the Goldsboro City Council will review a proposal to give all city employees a 2.5-percent raise, effective the second payroll this month.
The raise would cost the city about $200,000 through the end of the fiscal year -- in June.
City employees received cost-of-living increases every year from 1971-2002. But the raises were not paid in 2003 as a consultant studied what city employees were paid, as compared to people holding similar city and county jobs in nearby communities.
In early 2004, the council approved raises for 80 percent of city employees. However, neither they nor the other 20 percent received a cost-of-living raise in the 2004-05 budget.
The council was told last month that the city's finances were in good shape after the first six months of the fiscal year. Richard Slozak, then the city manager, recommended the raises as appropriate.
Some councilmen wanted to wait for Joe Huffman's input. Monday's meeting will be the first for Huffman as city manager.
Also Monday, the City Council will hear about plans for a "Walk of Fame" that is proposed for downtown. Dr. Ed Wilson, president of Wayne Community College, is scheduled to talk about the project.
Also Monday, the City Council is scheduled to do the following:
*Review, and possibly approve, Cannon' Management Services' plans for a 5,100-square-foot office building on Gracie Place, near Wayne Memorial Drive.
*Receive an update on the Exodus House Community Development Corp. from Donald Wilkerson.
*Consider a request by Vernon Mangum, owner of a condemned house at 302 S. John St., to rescind the condemnation order so that he may restore the structure.
*Hear from Albert Spruill, a Cooke Street resident, about the condition of that road's cul-de-sac.
*Condemn dilapidated houses at 803 Carolina St. and 913 Bethune St. City officials have tried to get the owners to repair these homes but is now moving toward demolition.
*Set a public hearing date for Douglas and Carolyn Core's request that Goldsboro annex their property on Piedmont Airline Road. That land is adjacent on two sides to property already inside the city.
*Consider allowing Eastern Aluminum to build a 6,000-square-foot shelter that would be attached to one of its existing buildings on Oak Forest Road.
*Hear about revised plans for the W.F. Spence Apartments, located at the corner of Cashwell Drive and Malloy Street.
*Receive a $639 payment from the state to be used for the Goldsboro Police Department's anti-drug activities.
The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. Monday in the council's chambers, Goldsboro City Hall.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families