City fights eight big fires including Paramount Theater
Published in News on March 11, 2005 1:52 PM
Goldsboro firefighters extinguished eight major fires in February, including the predawn blaze that destroyed the century-old Paramount Theater on South Center Street.
The eight fires caused an estimated $1,177,700 in damages, including $1.1 million to the historic downtown theater. The fires were among the 187 calls that the Fire Department answered in February.
Fire Chief Bobby Greenfield also wrote in his monthly report that firefighters took part in 409 hours of company training and 1,514 hours of individual training.
How to restore the 123-year-old Paramount remains a hot topic of conversation from the City Council to arts lovers to the public.
The fire was discovered by a police officer on patrol. He notified emergency dispatchers. Firefighters found fire and heavy smoke showing. The blaze later spread to the Stage Struck building behind the theater at 113 W. Chestnut St.
All three shifts fought the fire with assistance from several county volunteer departments that provided manpower and equipment. The fire was controlled after five hours, but firefighters remained for 16 hours to put out "hot spots."
The department also had to put out two predawn fires Feb. 27. The first was reported at Goldsboro Bingo World at 1809 N. Berkeley Blvd. A can for cigarette butts ignited the can, a table and a wall. When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke and fire were showing. Damages were estimated at $30,000. The building, owned by Ken Fallin of Walnut Creek, and contents were valued at $730,000.
The second fire occurred at 627 Devereaux St., where a couch caught fire in the living room. A malfunctioning space heater was blamed. Damages were set at $10,000 to the home and contents.
In other major fires:
*Cigarette ashes may have caused a fire Feb. 2 at 1006 N. Center St. Fire and smoke were showing when firefighters arrived. Damages were estimated at $15,000.
*A kitchen fire on Feb. 2 caused about $5,700 in damages at an apartment at The Meadows of Goldsboro at 2201 Royall Ave. Unattended cooking was blamed.
*Unattended cooking was blamed Feb. 6 for a kitchen fire at 507 N. Andrews Ave. The fire was put out quickly, but smoke damaged the kitchen. Damages were set at $7,000.
*A stove was left on Feb. 7 at a home at 112 Pinewood Drive, resulting in a fire that caused about $10,000 in damages.
During February, departmental training was held in vehicle rollover prevention, emergency medical technician recertification and hazardous materials.
Company training was conducted in rapid intervention, incident command, survival skills, fire scenarios, pre-planning, live-burn training, aerial operations, streets, ladders, self-contained breathing apparatus and rope rescue.
Fire safety was taught to about 480 children, including 300 at School Street School during February. About 120 Rosewood third-graders and 60 pre-schoolers toured the headquarters station.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families