Goldsboro fire department called to six structure fires
Published in News on May 12, 2005 1:52 PM
Six structure fires that caused about $124,300 in damages were among the 176 calls that the Goldsboro Fire Department answered in April.
An April 29 fire resulted in an estimated $55,000 in damages to a home at 913 S. Slocumb St. Unattended cooking was blamed.
The fire started in the kitchen and spread quickly to the rear of the house, the attic and a vehicle outside, fire officials said.
The property, valued at $60,000, sustained about $30,000 in damages. The contents, valued at $25,000, were destroyed. The home was occupied by Robin Packer and owned by Best Realty of Goldsboro.
On the same day, youngsters trying to burn a snake near an apartment at 126 Rockefeller Court set fire to the apartment building. The dead snake and matches were recovered by authorities.
Damage was estimated at $850 to the siding on the building, valued at $50,000. The interior was not damaged.
A lighted candle that had ignited bedding was blamed for an April 19 fire that resulted in an estimated $50,000 in damages to a home at 208 Shaw Court. The lone occupant, Marquita Waters, who was sleeping, did not hear the smoke alarm that was melted by the fire, but she escaped unhurt.
The home, owned by another resident, Patricia Douglas, and valued at $65,000, sustained about $35,000 in damages. Contents, valued at $35,000, had an estimated $15,000 in damages.
A fire ignited by a torch caused about $15,000 in damages April 16 to a home at 514 Cardinal Drive.
The owner had disconnected the water line from the water heater and was using a torch. He said after he went to his truck, a neighbor saw smoke and called 911. As firefighters arrived, the fire was already through the roof, officials said.
Fire damages were confined to the attic. The ceiling and floors sustained water and smoke damage. The home, owned by Perry Shaw, was valued at $75,000.
Firefighters answered an alarm April 11 to the Inez Briggs apartment at 105 Courtyard Circle. Evidence indicated unattended cooking had caused a fire, officials said. Kitchen cabinets and the stove's hood had about $750 in damages.
The contents were valued at $5,000. The apartment building was valued at $100,000.
Another kitchen fire on April 6 caused about $2,700 in damages to an apartment at 913-B Lincoln Drive. The complex was valued at $200,000 and the contents of Latoria Davis's home were valued at $2,000. Damage was estimated at $1,000 to the building and $1,700 to contents.
Firefighters also responded to an April 23 call at 316 Wilmington Ave., where high winds had blown large tree limbs on a house and a vehicle. Damage was estimated at $35,000. The house and contents were valued at $97,500.
Department personnel took part in 447 hours of company training and 1,918 hours of individual training in April, Fire Chief Bobby Greenfield said.
Department training was held in the national incident management system, law administration and high-angle rescue.
Company training was conducted in master stream operations, deck gun operations, tool operations, street skills, forcible entry, apparatus placement, building construction, ground ladders, salvage and overhaul, pre-fire plans, ropes and knots, search and rescue and foam.
Fire prevention activities in April included tours of the headquarters station and the fire safety house during De-rail-a-bration, and displays of a fire truck and the fire safety house around town.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families