Tournament benefits local community college
By News-Argus Staff
Published in News on August 10, 2005 1:57 PM
KENANSVILLE -- Braving the midsummer heat, 54 teams competed and supported a good cause in the James Sprunt Foundation's 20th annual golf tournament held Aug. 4 at River Landing Country Club in Wallace.
The tournament is the foundation's major fundraising event, with proceeds going to support student scholarships at James Sprunt Community College.
"We are very grateful to the many players, sponsors and volunteers who help and support this tournament every year," said Tom Fife, JSCC Foundation director. "By supporting this tournament, they are helping many students achieve an education to enable them to realize their career goals. Our thanks to each one of them and to the staff at River Landing for helping us make this tournament a success."
Team Nationwide, with players Jim Walker, Brandon Pace, Brian Pace and James Walker carded a net score of 53.8 to take top honors in the first flight for the third year in a row. Second place was team Bayer Cropscience I with a score of 54.7. Players were Thomas Riley, Michael Hill, Les Rouse and Mike Morris. Third place went to Budweiser/Jackson Beverage and team members Bill Rhodes, Danny Yates, Will Bunting and Lou Nali, with a score of 55.3.
Duplin Trading Co. took first-place honors in the second flight, with Michael Quinn, Scotty Smith, Glenn Holmes and Gary Wells scoring 52.5. Second place, with a net 53.9, went to the Cape Fear Farm Credit team of Robin Albertson, Dwight Sholar, Joe Sholar and Dean Brown. Third place went to the McDonald's team of Hugh Caison, Ray Collier, Joel Coleman and Mike Lawrence, who scored 54.
Winners in the other flights were:
* Third Flight -- First place, Randall Whaley, Rick Holden, Brian Glover and Randy Smith of Bayer Cropscience II, 55.7; second place, Craig Smith, Doyle Thigpen, Charles Albritton and Rob Jones of The Little Bank, 56.5; and third place, Gary Steimle, John Dunigan, Sean Simpson, Jeff Hogan of Smith Barney, 56.7.
* Fourth Flight -- First place, John Bullard, Jeff Hargrove, Ralph Britt and Matt McNeill of Four Oaks Bank, 59; second place, Paul Brewer, Grey Morgan, Charlie Parker and Billy Godwin of Southern Bank, 59.1; and third place, Mary Kirk, Charles Kirk, Brad Piner and Everette Page of Montgomery Community College, 60.
* Fifth Flight -- First place, Kendall Lee, Mike Brock, T.C. Beamon and Chris Harrison of Pepsi Bottling Ventures, 55.9; second place, Chris Ambrose, Andy Wells, Wade Farrior and Chuck Farrior of BB&T in Wallace, 56.4; and third place, Floyd Adams, Jerry Adams, Hugh Adams and Larry Goff of The Adams Company, 58.4.
* Sixth Flight -- First place, Jesse Hooks, Darron Ezzell, Charles Spell and Jeff Gause of U.S. Cold Storage, 60.2; second place, Jim Woodall, Tim Shafner, Breeze Ann McCoy and Harvey Taylor or Taylor's Landscaping; and third place, Brock McCloskey, Wayne Casteen, Mike Hawn and Adam Thompson of Murphy-Brown LLC, 61.8.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families