Goldsboro Fire Dept. puts out eight major fires
By Jack Stephens
Published in News on October 16, 2005 2:04 AM
The Goldsboro Fire Department put out eight major fires that resulted in about $77,850 in damages in September.
Two residential fires occurred Sept. 6 at homes at 1203 Harris St. and 102 Brookshire Drive.
The Harris Street fire was referred to police for a further investigation. Sgt. David Kelly said last week that pine straw had been ignited on the back rear wood deck. He said the fire spread quickly because of a strong wind and low humidity.
"We couldn't determine if it was deliberately set or if it could have been an accident, like children playing with matches," Kelly said.
Damage was estimated at $25,000 to the home and $10,000 to contents. The one-floor brick home, owned and occupied by Cleveland Johnson, was valued at $50,000. Contents were valued at $12,000.
A cooking fire caused about $600 in damages to a mobile home on Brookshire Drive and $400 to the contents. The home was valued at $18,000 and contents were valued at $5,000, officials said.
Last month's fire that caused the most damage, about $20,000, took place Sept. 13 at 515 Todd Drive. A resident was cleaning the stove and accidentally turned it on, igniting a fire, officials said.
The home, owned by Malcolm Blackman, was valued at $151,000, and contents were valued at $100,000. Damage was set at $15,000 to the home and $5,000 to contents.
A clothes dryer overheated Sept. 29 at O'Berry Center at 400 Old Smithfield Road and ignited linens in a laundry room. The residents were evacuated. Firefighters found that heavy smoke in the building had set off the sprinkler system. They shut down the sprinkler, ventilated the building and removed the dryer. Damages were estimated at $5,900. The building and contents were valued at $300,000.
A bag of charcoal ignited lawn-care tools Sept. 3 and spread to a home at 606 Wayne Ave. Damage was estimated at $800 to the home and $250 to the contents. The property and contents were valued at $120,000.
Unattended cooking was blamed Sept. 20 for a kitchen fire that caused about $200 in damages to a home at 144 S. Marion Drive. A thermal imager was used to make sure the fire had not spread into the walls, officials said, and the home was ventilated. The home and contents were valued at $240,000.
Wiring in the lights on a 36-foot trailer shorted out Sept. 2 at a convenience store parking lot at 2606 N. William St., resulting in $2,700 in damages. The tractor-trailer truck was hauling furniture. A metal wall prevented the fire from spreading from the storage compartment to the trailer. The truck was not damaged. The vehicle was valued at $14,034, and the contents were valued at $15,000.
A vehicle, valued at $12,000, was destroyed Sept. 24 in a fire at a service station at 2115 S. Slocumb St. The vehicle, partially outside the building, was being serviced by the garage staff when it ignited. It was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
Chief Bobby Greenfield said his department responded to 171 other fire or service calls during the month.
Fire Department personnel took part in 452 hours of company training and 1,663 hours of individual training in September.
Company training was conducted in high-angle rescue, policies and procedures, confined space awareness, high-rise operations, pre-fire plans, fire simulations, nozzle training, fire extinguishers, mat-jack operations, searches, sprinklers, ladders and fire zones. A department class was held on assessment centers.
Greenfield said fire prevention activities were suspended in September because of the fuel shortage.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families