11/20/05 — Students remain hospitalized

View Archive

Students remain hospitalized

By News-Argus Staff
Published in News on November 20, 2005 2:10 AM

One of two Greenwood Middle School students injured Friday by a vehicle while walking to school remained in critical condition Saturday night.

Carson Thomas and Mackinzie Wessels, both 13, were hit by a 1995 Ford Explorer driven by Luis Delgado Jesus, 23.

A spokesperson at Pitt Memorial Hospital said Carson Thomas was in critical condition Saturday night, and Mackinzie Wessels was in fair condition.

Jesus was arrested and charged with having no operator's license, expired registration and expired inspection sticker and placed in the Wayne County Jail under $5,000 bond.

He remains in custody.

Jesus, who works at Mission Foods, was not the registered owner of the Explorer, police said. At press time, the name of the owner of the vehicle had not been released.

Both boys are in the eighth grade. They were among students crossing East Ash Street on their way to school Friday about 7:30 a.m.

According to investigators, the boys were crossing the street with a third student on the "walk" signal when the accident occurred.

Eastbound and westbound traffic had a red light, according to the investigators' report.

Police said Jesus did not stop for the red light and his vehicle struck the two boys. The third student was not hit.

Goldsboro police said both boys live on Seymour Johnson Air Force Base.

One of the boys' father is stationed in Korea. Seymour Johnson officials said he was being flown back to the base to be with his son.

Wayne County school officials said counselors spoke to students who witnessed the accident or who are friends of the boys.

Greenwood Principal Larry Dean said at a press conference Friday that counselors would continue to help students deal with the accident.

"We told them that the two boys were getting good care and that we would keep them updated," counselor Selena Bennet said.

"We feel the most important thing is to keep things routine," Dean said. A letter describing the situation was sent home to parents Friday, he said.

The investigation is continuing, police said, and more charges could be filed.