Panel box may have been cause of fire
By Jack Stephens
Published in News on December 18, 2005 2:06 AM
An electrical failure in the laundry room on Saturday was believed to have been the cause of an apartment fire at 2100-E Peachtree St., the Goldsboro Fire Department reported.
"There was heavy smoke showing," Fire Lt. Carlton Parks said, when 21 firefighters answered the 7:41 a.m. call with three engines, a ladder and a command car.
They needed only 14 minutes to control the fire.
"They did a quick knockdown," Parks said. "...They did a good job."
Parks said he thought a panel box may have contributed to the fire.
The lieutenant attributed the larger-than-usual turnout to those firefighters leaving duty from B shift and those coming on at 8 a.m. on C shift.
Damage was estimated at $15,000 to the apartment and $10,000 to the contents.
The apartment was occupied by Vickie Johnson. The five-unit building, valued at $350,000, is owned by Landmark Realty at 2522 E. Ash St.
An adjoining apartment sustained about $150 in smoke damage, Parks said.
All five units were occupied, but no one was home in the affected apartments.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families