Goldsboro Fire Department answered 153 calls in April
By Jack Stephens
Published in News on May 18, 2006 1:46 PM
Four structure fires that resulted in about $54,450 in damages were among the 153 fire and service calls that the Goldsboro Fire Department answered in April.
Fire Chief Bobby Greenfield said a mobile home fire on April 2 at Lot 11, 3118 Central Heights Road, a fire on April 8 outside of Howell Support Services at 907-B Landmark Drive and a house fire on April 20 at 1207 Edgerton St. were referred to police for further investigation.
The mobile home fire started in the living room. The first firefighters to arrive encountered heavy fire that they extinguished within 21 minutes. The mobile home, occupied by Darlene Robinson and owned by Alex Economy, and its contents were destroyed. Police said unattended cooking was blamed for the fire.
An adjacent mobile home at Lot 10 had about $150 in damages to a window and blinds from radiant heat. The home, valued at $4,000, was occupied by Angela Loyd. The contents, valued at $5,000, were not damaged.
An outdoor fire on April 8 at Howell Support Services at 907-B Landmark Drive caused about $1,000 in damages to a window and siding. The fire appeared to have started in shrubbery, a fire official said. Investigators said they are waiting for results of an analysis of material sent to the SBI before determining the cause of the fire.
When firefighters went to the house fire on Edgerton Street, they saw light smoke. They forced their way inside and found a kitchen fire that had almost burned itself out. After a further investigation, firefighters found a hidden, second fire had reached the second floor, and they put out the fire in the ceiling and walls. Neighbors said the residents had moved out a week earlier, but the power was not shut off. Kelly said the cause of the fire could not be determined, but he said he could not rule out an electrical failure. Damage was estimated at $15,000 to the home that was owned by Elva Monroe and valued at $50,000.
An April 26 fire that the owner thought she had put out re-ignited and caused about $30,000 in damages to a home at 419 S. Slocumb St.
The owner, Mary Rose Brown, told fire officials that she had put out a kitchen fire in the morning and then left the house. The fire smoldered for a few hours under the range hood, got into the insulation and leaped into the attic, where it did extensive damage.
The home was valued at $75,000. The contents, valued at $40,000, sustained about $1,000 in damages.
Chief Greenfield said that department personnel completed 396 hours of company training and 1,681 hours of individual training in April.
The department also conducted three fire prevention activities that drew 475 people in April. The fire safety house was displayed and an extrication was demonstrated before about 400 people at the Family YMCA.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families