Flag retirement ceremony set for September 10
By News-Argus Staff
Published in News on August 7, 2006 1:45 PM
Wayne American Legion Post 11 of Goldsboro and Woodmen of the World Lodge 481 of Grantham will hold a formal American flag retirement and disposal ceremony on Sunday, Sept. 10, at 3 p.m.
The purpose of the program is to collect old and dilapadated flags and provide them with a proper and regimented disposal. At this time of year, many of the flags that are constantly flown at homes, businesses, schools and other locations around the county have suffered a lot of wear and tear, rips and generally worn conditions. The goal is to retire those flags with honor and encourage people to fly new ones.
Old flags may be dropped off at a number of locations around the county between now and the date of the retirement and disposal ceremony, to be held at the Woodmen of the World lodge on U.S. 13 South across from Grantham School. This ceremony is open to the public.
Dropoff locations for unserviceable flags are as follows:
* American Legion Post 11, U.S. 117 South, Goldsboro, 734-0407.
* Bender's Fremont Hardware, 117 E Main St., Fremont, 242-4350.
* Almost New Books, 207 S. Berkeley Blvd., Goldsboro, 778-6520.
* Daniel's Grocery, U.S. 13 South, Grantham, 689-2875.
* Delano Hill Insurance, 955 Breazeale Ave., Mount Olive, 658-3969.
* GOECO, 2500 E. Ash St., Goldsboro, 731-2308.
* Houser Real Estate, 504 N. Spence Ave., 778-7555.
* Howell Brothers Grocery, 101 W. Main St., Pikeville, 242-5558.
* McFly's Barber Shop, 212 S. Berkeley Blvd., Goldsboro, 778-3282.
* Rosewood Hardware Store, Rosewood Junction, 734-0093.
* Saulston Community Store, 4873 Wayne Memorial Drive, 778-4858.
* Wayne Republican Headquarters, 147 S. Center St., Goldsboro.
* Hasty Mart, U.S. 70 East and N.C. 111 South, Goldsboro, 751-0471.
Flags may also be dropped off or picked up by contacting George Carberry at 778-9636.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families