Early morning blaze claims tobacco barns
By Bonnie Edwards
Published in News on August 29, 2006 1:48 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- An early morning fire destroyed three barns on Northeast Church Road near Mount Olive today, but firefighters were able to save a fourth.
Mount Olive Fire Chief Steve Martin said the fire broke out around 4 a.m. at 922 Northeast Church Road. It destroyed three tobacco barns owned by Ray Walker that had just been filled with tobacco.
Martin said he believes the heat exchangers on the barns caused the fire. They were the old style of tobacco barns, he said.
Firefighters were able to save the fourth barn and about $20,000 worth of equipment parked nearby.
Damage was estimated at $30,000 to the three barns and the tobacco inside them and $5,000 to a shelter attached to them.
The Mount Olive firefighters received mutual aid from Dudley and Indian Springs volunteers. They were at the scene about four hours. Wayne EMS also responded to the emergency call.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families