By News-Argus Staff
Published in News on August 31, 2006 1:45 PM
Wal-Mart officials confirmed Wednesday that they are planning to build a supercenter store on the northwest corner of U.S. 70 west and N.C. 581.
They also said they have no plans to close the existing Wal-Mart on Spence Avenue.
A new Wal-Mart is already under construction in Mount Olive. Company officials have said they expect it to open for business sometime in the spring.
The Goldsboro City Council annexed land at the intersection of U.S. 70 and N.C. 581 earlier this year and zoned the 52-acre site for shopping center uses.
A design plan for the proposed Wal-Mart store shows five outparcels bordering the highways that could be used for restaurants or other businesses. They range in size from 1.17 acres to 1.66 acres.
Highway officials have proposed a traffic signal on N.C. 581 to control access to the site off that highway, along with four curb cuts and the creation of a turn lane. One curb cut has been proposed for access from U.S. 70.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families