Two homes in city heavily damaged in fires
By Lee Williams
Published in News on December 31, 2006 2:03 AM
Goldsboro firefighters were kept busy Thursday and Friday as they raced to snuff out two house fires that left two families homeless as the new year approached.
Fire and rescue crews responded to a fire at 409 Creech St. at about 6:45 p.m. Thursday. Shirley Kornegay lived in the home. However, Henry Jones of Goldsboro, owned the dwelling, Goldsboro Assistant Fire Chief Eric Lancaster said in a fire report.
Ms. Kornegay was cooking chicken in the kitchen. She went to bedroom and left the food unattended. She returned and discovered the food had caught fire, and the fire had extended to the cabinet above the stove.
Ms. Kornegay and her son tried to put the fire out, but were unsuccessful, so they left the home, Lancaster said. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters contained the fire to the kitchen and attic area, Lancaster said. The fire caused about $21,000 in damage to the home and its contents. The home was valued at $25,000 and the contents were valued at $12,000, Lancaster said.
Roughly 11 hours later, fire and rescue crews received an alarm call at 407 N. Slocumb St. Friday, which was called in by Goldsboro Assistant Fire Chief Gary Whaley at 10:22 a.m. Fred Teele lived in the home. However, John Tart, owned the home, Whaley said.
"I was traveling down Ash Street," Whaley said. "I saw smoke, I went to investigate and found the house was on fire."
Teele was away at work when the fire broke out, Whaley said.
Fire crews arrived and found heavy smoke coming from the house and flames coming from the attic area. During the fire attack, fire crews spread a salvage cover over furniture and other contents to protect them, Whaley said.
Firefighters contained the fire to the attic and bathroom area, however, much of the property had been gutted by the blaze. About 75 percent of the house was destroyed, Whaley said. All told, the fire caused $30,000 in damage to the home and its contents, he added.
The home was valued at $40,000.
Whaley said the fire appeared to be caused by an electrical short. No injuries were reported in the Slocumb Street fire.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families