By News-Argus Staff
Published in News on January 24, 2007 1:45 PM
Goldsboro firefighters were called to a house fire at 306 N. Carolina St. at about 6:15 p.m. The home, valued at $39,000 and owned by Kim Thorpe, caught fire after the exterior electrical meter box shorted out, investigators said.
Ms. Thorpe was inside the home with her four children when one of the outside walls of the house caught on fire, officials said. After the interior lights flickered on and off, Ms.
Three Goldsboro Fire Department engines and one ladder truck arrived at the scene and stayed until about 7:45 p.m., said Assistant Fire Chief Gary Whaley. The fire caused about $3,500 in damage to the house and another $500 to contents in the house, but firefighters were able to stop the blaze before it entered the house.
Nathan Gilber of Albuquerque, N.M., and Ratanek Sambo of Montclair, Calif., both reported trying to buy an engine from a Goldsboro resident through a Web site forum on Jan. 19 between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Both paid for the same item, one spending $1,327 and the other spending $1,200, but neither received the merchandise. Goldsboro police are investigating the incident.
James Trammel of Goldsboro Iron and Metal on North John Street told Goldsboro police that someone stole about $6,100 in cash from the store on Tuesday between 4-4:30 p.m.
Someone stole more than $4,000 in jewelry from a home on the 9000 block of Upper Black Creek Church Road between 7 p.m. Jan. 19 and 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Deborah Ellis told Wayne County sheriff's deputies that someone stole the items from a jewelry box in her home. The stolen items included a $900 diamond ring, a $1,900 gold ring, an $875 diamond ring and a $1,400 diamond tennis bracelet.
Officials with Heavenly Homes on U.S. 70 east said someone broke into the building and stole a $900 generator, $3,500 worth in couches, love seats and side chairs and $800 in coffee table sets and end tables.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families