Fire spreads, destroys neighbor's antique car, motorcycle, mower
By Lee Williams
Published in News on February 23, 2007 1:46 PM
A Dudley man's antique car, motorcycle and riding lawnmower were destroyed when a woman's fire grew out of control Thursday and blew over to his business on Lipscomb Lane off Emmaus Church Road.
Members of the Arrington Volunteer Fire Department , assisted by firefighters from Indians Springs and Dudley responded to the blaze that damaged a shed owned by Ralph Lawhorn on Lipscomb Lane at about 12:30 p.m.
Sarah Mendez on Turnage Lane was burning trash in a barrel and it got away from her, fire officials said. The fire spread to Lawhorn's property and also damaged the vinyl siding on several homes in the area.
Rogers and other firefighters around the county were kept busy as more than 15 grass fires were reported on Thursday. The fires were likely sparked by dry leaves, strong winds and an uncontrolled flame.
Dwight Bryant, county ranger of the North Carolina Department of Forestry Service, said he and his staff, have also been kept occupied for the last several days.
He added since the state is in the midst of its Spring fire season, a time of year when fires are most likely to occur, spread or cause significant damage, he doesn't expect the call volume to wane any time soon.
Controlled burns are not ideal on windy days, but officials say if you have to burn brush, here are a few things to remember.
*When putting a fire out with a water hose, always stir up the pile of brush to ensure the water gets to the bottom to make sure the fire is completely out. A strong wind could dry up the moisture on top and spark a rekindle -- sometimes even days later.
*Never leave a fire unattended.
Bryant said his office has handed out numerous citations for these reasons. He said fines range from $50 to $10,000, so he urged residents to take precautions to keep their controlled burns -- under control.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families