03/18/07 — City gets new site query for shelter

View Archive

City gets new site query for shelter

By Kenneth Fine
Published in News on March 18, 2007 2:08 AM

A public hearing regarding the proposed future site of the Wayne County Animal Shelter will be among the issues discussed Monday as Goldsboro City Council members will conduct their final meeting of the month at 7 p.m. in the second-floor conference room at City Hall.

Wayne County officials have requested a zoning change for county-owned property on the east side of Clingman Street, between Corporate Drive and Stronach Avenue, for the purpose of constructing a new animal shelter on the site.

Five other public hearings also will be held.

The first matter involves a request from Jose Amador concerning his property located on the northwest side of Branch Street, between Vann and Tart streets. He is hoping the council will approve his bid to rezone the parcel from residential to residential mobile home.

The final zoning issue involves Thomas Bell, who also is requesting a change from residential. He has asked that property he owns on the south side of North Oak Forest Road, between Gateway Drive and Central Heights Road, be rezoned to general business conditional district.

The public is also invited to weigh in on two conditional land use requests.

The first involves Toyota Used Car Sales and property located on the north side of Ash Street, between U.S. 70 and Meadow Road.

The second request involves property located on the southeast corner of John and Dewey streets. The parcel owner hopes to open a child care center on the site.

At the end of their meeting, City Council members will open the floor for public comment. Residents who wish to address the board for any reason are asked to speak at this time. A three-minute time limit will be enforced.

Before the meeting, at its 5 p.m. work session, the council also is expected to discuss the possibility of using Community Development Block Grants funds to help pay for reconstruction of the Wayne County Memorial Community Building.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development allows for those funds to be used to improve areas of blight in and around cities.