08/24/07 — Motorcyclist, 19, leads officers on 11-mile chase

View Archive

Motorcyclist, 19, leads officers on 11-mile chase

By Lee Williams
Published in News on August 24, 2007 2:14 PM

A Goldsboro teen who led several law enforcement officers on a high-speed chase through Wayne County at about 1:15 p.m. Thursday now faces a laundry list of traffic charges.

Grant Williams, 19, was traveling on a blue and white motorcycle with a matching white helmet, when he attracted the attention of Wayne County Sheriff's Office Deputy Cpl. Pat Hux.

Hux tried to stop Williams who was allegedly traveling 81 mph in a 35-mph school zone by Rosewood Elementary School. When Williams refused to stop, a chase began, Wayne County Sheriff Carey Winders said.

The chase was halted briefly when deputies lost the suspect on Old Smithfield Road, said Winders, who also participated in the nearly 11-mile chase.

"We lost sight of him," Winders said. "We gave out a description of the suspect, and Deputy Sgt. Joe Smith located the vehicle on Old Smithfield Road and N.C. 581."

Deputies called in troopers from the Wayne County N.C. Highway Patrol post to take over the chase. Sheriff's deputies continued to pursue the suspect who at times traveled at 100 mph, Winders said.

As Williams continued to flee from authorities, the number of law enforcement agencies called in to assist swelled.

Cherry Hospital police assisted by blocking the road, while Goldsboro police got into position, just in case, but they never joined the chase.

"He came through the Cherry Hospital area at N.C. 581 toward Ash Street," Winders said. "He banked off and turned on U.S. 117 South, and the Highway Patrol was in pursuit."

Officers chased Williams down U.S. 117 South to the Culligan Bottled Water facility at 1207 U.S. 117 South Bypass.

That's when the chase ended.

"He stopped his motorcycle and let it drop to the ground," Winders said. "He ran and the troopers with the assistance of Wayne County deputies apprehended him."

Smith said Williams received a minor injury, but he emphasized Williams did not wreck his motorcycle.

"He laid it down to run, and he scratched his arm in the process," Smith said.

Williams was taken to Wayne Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Officials said Williams will likely face failure to stop for lights and siren, speeding, careless and reckless driving, three felony counts of fleeing to elude arrest and several other misdemeanor traffic charges.