Trash pile sparks fire at store downtown
By Nick Hiltunen
Published in News on June 9, 2008 2:10 PM
Retail shop Maxway at 125 S. Center Street was found on fire on Sunday afternoon, and investigators have called the fire suspicious.
Police found the back of the building on fire around 12:40 p.m. on Sunday, according to a report.
Initial reports indicated the Paramount Theatre was on fire but that turned out to be untrue. The historic theater was rebuilt over the past year after being gutting by fire in 2005.
The store is located two doors down from the theater, which was not damaged.
The amount of damage to the store and its contents was not detailed in the police report. The started at the back of the building near the rear rollup door and a pile of trash while there were people inside the building. They were evacuated out the front of the building.
The fire spread upward along the outer walls and was impinging on a nearby transformer when firemen arrived. They reported several small explosions.
It was the second suspicious fire reported by Goldsboro police over the weekend.
On Friday afternoon, an attic belonging to Carletha Faison suffered $5,000 in damages after an afternoon fire, police said.
The residence is vacant and the front door was unsecured, police said. Investigation into the fire continues, according to the report.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families