Fire ravages Pikeville gas station
By Nick Hiltunen
Published in News on June 12, 2008 1:48 PM
PIKEVILLE -- A fire destroyed the contents of the Pikeville Quick Pic early this morning, the town's assistant fire chief said.
Damages were concentrated around an electrical box, and authorities believe the fire was accidental, according to reports.
The store is at one of Pikeville's main crossroads -- Goldsboro Street (also known as U.S. 117 Alternate) and Big Daddy's Road.
Assistant fire Chief Willie Person said emergency officials first heard of the fire around 5:30 a.m.
The fire was out within approximately 30 minutes, said the assistant chief, who praised his department and others for quick work.
Person said that his department, plus mutual aid from Nahunta and Fremont, arrived to a fully involved fire.
"We saw smoke from the rooftop, and it's pitch black on the inside -- it was probably burning for while," Person said.
There was no saving the contents of the store, the assistant fire chief said.
"All that's gone," Person said.
Dollar figures were not available on the damages.
"The guys are still doing all the reporting stuff now," the assistant chief said.
Audelo's Mexican Restaurant, which is directly next door to Quick Pick, may also have suffered some minor smoke damage, the assistant chief said.
Damages estimates for the restaurant also were not available early this morning.
The women of Pikeville's Ladies Auxillary provided water and a rehab staging area for the firefighters.
Other Local News
- Care in the sky: Members of the aeromedical evacuation crew fight to get injured troops back to their families