Fire ruled accidental
By Nick Hiltunen
Published in News on July 10, 2009 1:46 PM
Goldsboro police say a "suspicious fire" at a mini-storage business has been ruled accidental.
Goldsboro police spokesman Sgt. Chad Calloway said that after an investigation into the Monday afternoon fire, investigators determined a punctured battery was to blame.
"A battery was sitting on a table with assorted tools and in that general area, there was a cardboard box with (unknown material) in it," investigators said.
"The hole (in the battery) came as a result from the T-handle on the cart, which was pushed into it, causing the puncture in the battery," Calloway said.
Police believed the fire started sometime after the hole was punched in the battery, possibly due to an electrical short.