Sprinkler system puts out fire at warehouse
By Staff Reports
Published in News on July 15, 2009 1:46 PM
Goldsboro firefighters enter the Glenoit (Excell Home Fashions) warehouse as smoke emerges from the cargo doors Tuesday.
Goldsboro firefighters responded to a call from Excell Home Fashions and Glenoit LLC at about 1:40 p.m. Tuesday, but when they arrived, officials said, the building's sprinkler system had already extinguished the flames.
"Evidently an electrical panel was hit by a forklift, and when it hit it, sparks came from the box and ignited some of the product beneath it in the warehouse," said John Morton, Goldsboro fire inspector. "So the sprinkler system went off and extinguished the fire.
"Sprinkler systems do work if properly maintained."
Goldsboro Fire Chief Gary Whaley said the plant was closed for the day and workers were evacuated. He did not have a damage estimate.
"There wasn't a lot of damage to product, but you do have some electrical damage and the cost of the plant being shut down all day," he said.
He also explained that once the blaze was out, all that was left to do was to remove the burned debris and to get the smoke out -- a "long and intensive process."
Plant officials did not respond to a call for comment.