Web site will gather Adamsville memories
By Staff Reports
Published in News on October 5, 2009 2:02 PM
Interest in the community that Goldsboro annexed in 1970 has grown since a summer of 2004 exhibit at the Wayne County Museum.
Jenny Butler Wilder has compiled information from local residents and businesses and will manage a Web site devoted to the area. She is the great-granddaughter of Marshall Lee Adams, who founded the community.
Ms. Wilder is encouraging people to submit articles and photographs about Adams-ville. People may send e-mails to email@example.com or visit her website.
Adams established Adams Store in the southeast corner of the crossroads in 1903. The informal boundaries were widely considered to include the area from Stoney Creek to Meadow Lane School to the east and Seymour Johnson Air Force Base Gate No. 1 north to the railroad tracks.
The community boasted family-owned grocery stores, produce markets, auto sales, repair and gas stations, dairies, hair salons and barber shops, grills and restaurants.
Larger businesses such as Hollowell Oil Co., Whitley Milling Co., Goldsboro Record and Printing and Nu-Life Battery serviced neighboring areas.
The state prison camp and the state Highway and Public Works Commission facility on U.S. 13 (North Berkeley Boulevard) employed many residents.
The community produced a number of noteworthy residents. Adams served as a county commissioner and magistrate. Bobby Wilson, owner of Gasteria and Wilson's Barbecue, played National League baseball. Johnny Grant became "may-or" of Hollywood, and Bill Adams served as sheriff for 20 years. Seth B. Hollowell served as a county commissioner and state senator.
At one time Adamsville had its own fire department.