Voters will head to polls Tuesday
By Staff Reports
Published in News on November 2, 2009 1:46 PM
Voters in several Wayne County municipalities will go to the polls on Tuesday to choose representatives for their town boards. Sanitary district members also will have a chance to choose representatives.
Polls open at 6:30 a.m. and close at 7:30 p.m.
On the ballot will be seats in Mount Olive, Pikeville, Walnut Creek, Seven Springs and Eureka as well as the Fork, Eastern Wayne, Belfast-Patetown, Southeastern Wayne and Southern Wayne sanitary districts, which oversee water and sewer service in those areas.
The most interest is likely to be in the races for mayor of Mount Olive and mayor of Pikeville, where two candidates are pitted against one another, incumbent Ray McDonald Sr. against challenger James Harold Mayo in Mount Olive and incumbent Herb Sieger against challenger Johnny Weaver in Pikeville.
The following is a list of open seats and candidates:
* Eureka mayor: No candidate filed, write-in candidates will determine winner.
* Eureka Town Board, 2 seats open: No candidate filed, write-in candidates will determine winners.
* Mount Olive mayor: James Harold Mayo, Irvin Ray McDonald Sr.
* Mount Olive commissioner at-large: Ray Thompson
* Mount Olive commissioner, District 1, Kenneth K. Talton
* Mount Olive commissioner, District 2, Hosea Manley
* Mount Olive commissioner, District 3, George Fulghum
* Mount Olive commissioner, District 4, Norwood Gene Lee
* Pikeville mayor: Herbert Sieger, Johnny Weaver
* Pikeville commissioner, 2 seats open: Lyman Galloway, Kellum Ward, Edith McClenny, Charles Lee McGrady, Regina Wassenhove
* Seven Springs mayor: Stephen Potter
* Seven Springs commissioner, 2 seats open: Lisa Cash (write-in will determine second winner)
* Walnut Creek Town Council, 2 seats open: Darrell Horne, Russell Prys
* Belfast-Patetown Sanitary District Board, 5 seats open: Joe Brown, Benjamin Casey, Landis Davis, Fred Newcomb, Charles Ray Sullivan
* Eastern Wayne Sanitary District Board, 5 seats open: Daryl Anderson, Walter Bean, Brandon Gray, Kivett Ivey, Billie Lee, Carl Mozingo
* Fork Township Sanitary District Board, 3 seats open: Henry Braswell, Gary Holland, Neal Donald, George Dexter Taylor, Wayne Alan Westbrook
* Southeastern Wayne Sanitary District Board, 5 seats open: Sam Casey, Charlie Holloway, Bobby Outlaw, Edith Smith, James Taylor
* Southern Wayne Sanitary District Board, 2 seats open: Sally Rawls Bowles, Dale Gainey
These polling places will be open on Tuesday:
* Precinct 1, Fremont United Methodist Church
* Precinct 2, Eureka United Methodist Church
* Precinct 3, Little River Fire Station
* Precinct 4, Pikeville Fire Station
* Precinct 5, Woodmen of the World
* Precinct 6, Saulston Methodist Church
* Precinct 7, New Hope Fire Station
* Precinct 8, Oakland Fire Station
* Precinct 9, Westwood United Methodist Church
* Precinct 12, Oak Forest Church of Christ
* Precinct 13, Kingdom Life Ministries International
* Precinct 14, New Hope Friends Church
* Precinct 15, Seven Springs Baptist Church
* Precinct 16, American Legion Post 11
* Precinct 23, Goldsboro Wesleyan Church
* Precinct 25, Mount Olive Fire Station
* Precinct 26, Dudley Fire Station
* Precinct 27, Brogden Middle School
* Precinct 28, Indian Springs Fire Station
* Precinct 30, First United Methodist Church
For more information, call the Wayne County Board of Elections at 731-1411 or go by the office on North William Street.