Daffodils to bloom in Fremont Saturday at annual festival
By Laura Collins
Published in News on March 24, 2010 1:50 PM
Come Saturday, the streets of Fremont will be filled with people, entertainment, games and crafts.
The 24th Annual Fremont Daffodil Festival is Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in downtown Fremont.
"Our daffodils are in full bloom throughout our town and are the prettiest we've ever had. We invite everyone to come and enjoy the festival," said Brenda Paul, festival committee member.
The Embers are the featured entertainment and will perform from noon to 2 p.m. along with other entertainment throughout the day.
In addition to entertainment, the streets will be full of food and handmade crafts including jewelry, hair bows, pillow dresses for girls, wreaths, flip flops, painted glass, woodcrafts and other items.
Food vendors will be selling barbecue sandwiches, hot dogs, barbecue chicken, funnel cakes, homemade apple jacks, teriyaki chicken on the stick, kettle corn, turkey legs, ribs, blooming onions, ribbon fries, homemade flavored sodas, slushies and more.
"Our annual Daffodil Festival is a day for family and friends to come together in Fremont for lots of fun and fellowship," Paul said. "It's a great family atmosphere with a day full of entertainment, food, crafts and plenty of food and fun for everyone."
Also at the festival, winners of the stamp contest will be recognized. Third-graders Tracy Pittman and Leigh Tillman, Fremont STARS students, designed the winning stamp featuring the town of Fremont. Everything mailed on Saturday will be mailed using those stamps.
For the younger crowd at the festival, Children's Alley will feature remote controlled racing, Cameron the Caterpillar, a rock climbing wall, castle, colossal slide and Drew the Clown, among other things.
Here's the festival's schedule of events:
* 10-10:15 a.m. -- Official Opening Ceremonies (stage 1), reigning Miss Daffodil and Little Miss Daffodil, Fremont Memorial Park recognition, commemorative daffodil postage stamp at Fremont Post Office
* 10 a.m. -- Arts and crafts show and sale
* 10:15-10:30 a.m. --Fremont Preschool entertainment
* 10:30-11 a.m. -- Fremont STARS entertainment
* 11-11:45 a.m. -- Shimmy Shakerz (stage 1)
* 11 a.m.-2 p.m. --Drew the Clown
* 12-2 p.m. -- The Embers (stage 2)
* 2-4 p.m. -- Triple Wide-rock/funk/blues (stage 1)
* 4-5 p.m. -- Beth Ivey-contemporary Christian music (stage 1)
* 5 p.m. -- Entertainment by Katie Brown, Little Miss Daffodil, Katie Knotts, Miss Daffodil, all ticket drawings
* All day --Fremont Heritage Museum at 112 E. Main St., Daffodil Exhibit at Town Hall