No word yet on allegations Duplin Schools misused funds
By Catharin Shepard
Published in News on April 4, 2010 1:50 AM
District Four District Attorney Dewey Hudson said his office is still working with the State Bureau of Investigation to examine alleged misuse of funding in Duplin County Schools.
"We are looking at it," Hudson said Wednesday about the ongoing investigation.
Hudson's office and the SBI are exploring the issues raised in a letter sent to Hudson's office last September calling for the District Attorney to seek an investigation. Hudson contacted the SBI in late October regarding the matter.
"We have not made any final decisions yet," he said.
Hudson and staff with the District Four office, which serves Duplin, Sampson, Jones and Onslow counties, have also been busy with other cases in recent weeks.
Additionally, Hudson said one of the prosecutors had been out of the office with health concerns. He said he hopes to speak with the prosecutor soon regarding the Duplin County Schools case. He declined to comment on whether his office had been in contact with the Duplin County Board of Education regarding the matter, as it involves an ongoing investigation.
Hudson said he will likely have more information on the case within the next several weeks.
Three Duplin County commissioners and three Duplin citizens sent the letter to Hudson that triggered the investigation last September.
"The SBI has assigned an out of county agent to handle this investigation. Once it is complete, I will review the findings of the investigation and take appropriate action," Hudson said in a released statement in February.
The matter involves relocation funds that were allegedly paid to former Duplin County Schools director of special programs Nathan Currie in 2007, a source said.