Booze It & Lose It campaign ongoing
By Staff Reports
Published in News on June 30, 2010 1:46 PM
The Governor's Highway Safety Program's 2010 "Booze It & Lose It: Operation Firecracker" campaign began Monday and will continue through Sunday.
State and local law enforcement officers will be out in force over the Fourth of July holiday period and checkpoints and stepped-up patrols will be in place across North Carolina in an effort to remove impaired drivers from the roads, state officials said.
"Our law enforcement officers will be working hard to stop impaired drivers and ensure the safety of motorists traveling on our highways," said David Weinstein, GHSP director. "Driving while impaired is never worth the risk, and everyone should celebrate responsibly."
Over last year's Independence Day weekend, there were 120 alcohol-related crashes resulting in six fatalities and 105 injuries.
Officers charged more than 1,300 North Carolina motorists with driving while impaired during the 2009 campaign. More than 4,800 stepped-up patrols and checkpoints were conducted.