Schools change times for new year
By Phyllis Moore
Published in News on July 8, 2010 1:46 PM
Opening and closing times for schools have been slightly altered for the coming year, reflecting an additional 15 minutes for recess in the lower grades and an expanded lunch period for the upper grades.
The Board of Education approved the new schedule Tuesday night.
For the most part, county schools will start 15 minutes later and dismiss 30 minutes later than last year's schedule.
The main exception will be Goldsboro High School, which added 30 minutes to its schedule, complying with requirements of a School Improvement Grant to improve student achievement.
Last year, the school operated from 7:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. This year, students will attend classes from 8 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
The $2.9 million grant, over the next three years, also called for the removal of any principal who had been at the school for more than two years. Patricia Burden, at GHS since 2000, was reassigned to Wayne High School Academy.
The board approved a separate calendar for GHS, which includes seven additional workdays for the staff, per the grant.
"Teachers will start on the 18th of August (but) teachers at Goldsboro High School will start on Aug. 9," explained Olivia Pierce, executive director of community relations, media and technology for the district.
The bulk of the district schools will operate on an 8 a.m. until 3:15 p.m. schedule this year.
One of the more significant time changes will be at Mount Olive Middle School, which starts 30 minutes later, moving from 7:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. Students will also finish 45 minutes later than last year, moving from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m.
The district's two newest school options maintain the same hours.
Wayne Early/Middle College High School, on the Wayne Community College campus, starts at 10:50 a.m. and dismisses at 5 p.m. Wayne School of Engineering, housed at Goldsboro High, opens at 10:30 a.m. and lets out at 4:30 p.m.
Rosewood Elementary students will have a later dismissal time than last year. Start time remains the same, 7:45 a.m., but instead of getting out at 2:20 p.m., it will now be 3 p.m.
Rosewood middle and high schools were the only ones that moved up their start times.
Last year, the middle school operated under an 8:15 a.m. until 3:15 p.m. schedule. In the fall, it will move to 7:55 a.m. until 3:10 p.m.
The high school's previous schedule was 8:20 a.m. until 3:20 p.m. The new hours will be from 8 a.m. until 3:15 p.m.
State law requires the local school boards to adopt opening and closing times each year, said Dr. Craig McFadden, assistant superintendent for accountability/student services.
The latest proposal, however, goes beyond academic time -- incorporating socialization for students by affording a longer lunch period for older students and more outdoor time for younger students. When first discussed in the spring, the school board favored the new policy as it would allow students more "down time" while also gaining additional physical activity during the day.
Below is a complete listing of school opening and closing times for 2010-11:
* Brogden Middle 7:30 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
* Brogden Primary 8:15 a.m.-3:30 p.m..
* Carver Elementary 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Carver Heights 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Charles B. Aycock High 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Dillard Middle 7:30 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
* Eastern Wayne Elementary 8:15 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
* Eastern Wayne High 8 a.m-3:15 p.m.
* Eastern Wayne Middle 7:30 a.m. -2:45 p.m.
* Edgewood 9 a.m.-2:50 p.m.
* Fremont STARS Elementary 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Goldsboro High 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
* Grantham 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Greenwood Middle 7:30 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
* Meadow Lane Elementary 8:15 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
* Mount Olive Middle 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* North Drive Elementary 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Northeast Elementary 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Northwest Elementary 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Norwayne Middle 8 a.m-3:15 p.m.
* Rosewood Elementary 7:45 a.m.-3 p.m.
* Rosewood High 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Rosewood Middle 7:55 a.m.-3:10 p.m.
* School Street Elementary 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Southern Wayne High 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Spring Creek Elementary 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Spring Creek High 8 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
* Tommy's Road Elementary 8 a.m-3:15 p.m.
* Wayne Early/Middle College 10:50 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Wayne Academy 8:15 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
* Wayne School of Engineering 10:30 a.m. -4:30 p.m.