Apartment fire starts in kitchen
By Staff Reports
Published in News on November 21, 2010 1:50 AM
News-Argus/MICHAEL K. DAKOTA
Four Goldsboro Fire Department stations responded to an apartment building fire at 602 Holly St., Apt. B.
The Goldsboro Fire Department responded to an apartment fire at 602 E. Holly St., Apt. B, Saturday just before 4 p.m.
Resident Patrick Hocutt said he was returning from the store to his apartment where his two sons, ages 14 and 10, were waiting when he pulled into the parking lot and noticed his neighbor's apartment was on fire and dialed 911.
Hocutt then went next door to notify his neighbor that her apartment was on fire. He said the neighbor told him she had left something on the stove while she went next door to visit a friend.
Assistant Fire Chief Eric Lancaster said engines from Stations 1, 3, 4 and 5 arrived at the scene to find smoke billowing from both of the complex's roof gable vents.
At that time, the department could not determine which apartment was on fire.
Ladder truck firefighters on the scene quickly set about investigating the probability of fire within the complex's shared attic, venting the roof and cutting holes through the apartment ceilings to contain the blaze and to prevent it from spreading into neighboring apartments.
Lancaster credits firefighters' quick determination of the type of construction involved in the fire with preventing additional apartments from burning.
He said the department is still conducting its investigation and can confirm the fire started in the kitchen of Apt. B, but also said it is too early to declare a cause of ignition.
It was too early to determine a damage estimate for the apartment directly involved in the fire, but Lancaster said residents in the neighboring apartments would be able to return to their homes Saturday evening.
The Red Cross has been called to assist the displaced apartment owner, who refused to be identified.
Fire officials did not have the report completed by press time.