04/03/11 — Suspects arrested in March murder

View Archive

Suspects arrested in March murder

By Staff Reports
Published in News on April 3, 2011 1:50 AM

Two Goldsboro residents, including one who had fled to Philadelphia, have been charged with murder and jailed without bond in connection with the shooting death of a disabled Goldsboro man last month.

Natasha Monet Bonaparte, 22, of North Jefferson Street, was taken into custody in Philadel-phia on Thursday on a charge of murder and is awaiting extradition back to Wayne County. She is expected to face more charges upon her return to the county.

The second suspect, Virgil Devon Cox, 34, Dove Place, was arrested on Friday at about 9:30 p.m. following a traffic stop on N.C. 111 North. Cox is charged with murder, first-degree burglary and robbery with a dangerous weapon.

The two are charged in connection with the death of Edward Lee Brewington, 46, of Mill Dam Lane.

On March 5, Brewington, who had been shot several times, was found by Wayne County sheriff's deputies at his home in a mobile home park just off Tommy's Road.

Brewington told deputies he had been assaulted and shot. He was taken to the Wayne Memorial Hospital emergency room and was later airlifted to Pitt Memorial Hospital for treatment where he died in the early morning hours of March 7.

Lead investigator Detec-tive Sgt. Larry Mitchell said Mrs. Bonaparte left Wayne County shortly after the incident. She was located in Philadelphia.

Mitchell and Detective Sgt. Ron Baker went to Philadelphia on Wednesday to continue the investigation, and Mrs. Bonaparte was taken into custody in Philadelphia on Thursday.

Wayne County Sheriff Carey Winders said deputies had suspected from the start of the investigation that Mrs. Bonaparte had been involved in the shooting.

The Sheriff's Office was assisted in the investigation by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, the Federal Bureau of Investi-gation Greenville office, the Philadelphia Police Depart-ment, Homicide Division, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation office in Philadelphia.

Cox was arrested by members of the Wayne County Sheriff's Office SWAT team, SBI and officers from the Wake County Sheriff's Office.

Winders said Cox had been under surveillance and that deputies had known that he was on N.C. 111. Cox offered no resistance, the sheriff said.

"I want to express my appreciation to the citizens that provided information to the detectives that worked this case," Winders said. "The detectives put in a lot of hours and stayed committed to the investigation. I want to express my sincere appreciation to them for their professionalism and commitment. The working relationship between all the agencies that assisted was very inspiring and appreciated, even when it crossed state lines."