Travel warning issued for Americans abroad
By From Staff And Wire Reports
Published in News on May 2, 2011 1:46 PM
Most Wayne County students traveling abroad over spring break have returned home, Wayne County Schools officials said this morning.
U.S. travelers are being warned by the Homeland Security Department that the death of Osama bin Laden could inspire retaliatory attacks against the U.S. and Western targets.
The department's "situational awareness alert," obtained by The Associated Press, says the attacks could come from members of al-Qaida's core branch in the tribal areas of Pakistan, al-Qaida franchises in other countries and radicalized individuals in the U.S. with al-Qaida sympathies.
The alert, issued Sunday, says the U.S. intelligence community doesn't currently have insight into al-Qaida's choice of U.S. targets.
Since the news of bin Laden's death, Wayne County Schools officials have been monitoring the travel advisories since several student groups have been on excursions overseas during spring break.
A group from Wayne School of Engineering traveling to France, Germany and the Alps had returned safely on Saturday.
Groups from Eastern Wayne and Spring Creek high schools, touring London, Paris and the Alps from April 20 until May 1, got back late Sunday night, said Dr. Sandra McCullen, associate superintendent for curriculum and instruction.
"All students are home except for one group and they're on their way from Athens," she said this morning.
That group includes students and chaperones from Charles B. Aycock and Southern Wayne high schools. It had left for Greece on April 21 and is due back Tuesday.
"What we have heard so far is everybody is OK," Dr. McCullen said.