DOT looks at other local projects
By From staff reports
Published in News on July 24, 2011 1:50 AM
The following projects were included in the Transportation Improvement Plan
* Central Heights Road: Widen to three lanes a section in front of Eastern Wayne Middle School, $150,000 in 2012.
* Country Day Road: Grade, drain, base, pave-construct right turn lane at N.C. 111, $150,000 in 2012.
* Wayne Memorial Drive: Turn lanes near Saulston, $70,000 total in 2012.
* Royall Avenue: Left turn lane at Imperial Drive, $300,000 in 2013.
* Wayne Memorial Drive at Woodside Drive to Saulston-Patetown Road: Safety improvements including widening, shoulders, superelevation revisions, overlaying pavement markings and signing, $2.933 million. Right-of-way acquisition is scheduled to start this year and construction in 2014.
* Wayne Memorial Drive from New Hope Road to the new U.S. 70 Bypass: Widen to multi-lanes, $13.7 million. Project is unfunded.
The following projects did not rank high enough to be funded:
* U.S. 13 (Berkeley Boulevard) at Royall Avenue to north of Hood Swamp Road: Widen to multi-lanes, $11,650,000. Right-of-way acquisition is under way for the section from Royall Avenue to New Hope Road. Planning and design have started, too.
* New Hope Road from Wayne Memorial Drive to Miller's Chapel Road: Widen To multi-lanes, $28,100,000.
* U.S. 70 Business (Ash Street) at Berkeley Boulevard to U.S. 70 Bypass: Widen to multi-lanes, $28 million.
* N.C. 55 in Sampson, Wayne, Lenoir counties: Upgrade to freeway status, $533,267,352.
* New interchange at U.S. 117 South and O'Berry Center Road, $12,120,680. It is scheduled for a feasibility study.
* U.S. 13 from future U.S. 70/U.S. 13 interchange to Pitt County: Modernize, widen to 24 feet, construct paved shoulders, provide turn lanes at various locations and realign where appropriate, $55,612,057.
* U.S. 13 North: Upgrade from Hood Swamp Road to Greene County line, $14,175,000.
* U.S. 70: New interchange at existing U.S. 70 East and Oak Forest Road, $11,940,500.
* U.S. 70: New interchange at existing U.S. 70 East and N.C. 111, $15,403,245.
* Realignment of Central Heights Road at the intersection of Berkeley Boulevard and Royall Avenue, $4,997,000. Scheduled for feasibility study.
* Garner's Chapel Road east of Mount Olive from Willie Best Road east to Bennett's Bridge Road: Widen to 24 feet, construct paved shoulders, $5,405,400.