By From staff reports
Published in News on October 6, 2011 1:46 PM
The Goldsboro Fire Department responded to 33 calls during the week of Sept. 23 to Sept. 29.
Of all the fire calls, 15 were assists to Wayne County Emergency Medical Services, 12 were false alarms and three were vehicle accidents.
Station 3, located on Patetown Road, responded to a trash fire on railroad tracks at 419 Fussell St. at 4:43 p.m. Sept. 26.
Firefighters reported the burning item to be a discarded mattress. The fire was extinguished and the mattress was removed from the railroad tracks.
Less than a half hour later, members of the station 3 department responded to a fire outside a home at 1007 N. James St. on Sept. 26 at 5:10 p.m.
The response time was 4 minutes.
According to a report, the fire was located near a shed behind the home in a 55-gallon drum with scrap wood burning inside.
Firefighters reported that the fire was unattended, and no one answered the door at the home's address. The fire was extinguished with a garden hose.