11/16/11 — Applications being taken for energy assistance

View Archive

Applications being taken for energy assistance

By From staff reports
Published in News on November 16, 2011 1:46 PM

Applications will be taken next month for the state's revamped Low Income Energy Assistance Program.

Applications for persons age 60 and older or disabled persons who receive SSI, SSA or VA disability and who are receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services will be taken Dec. 1 through Jan. 31, 2012, or until funds are exhausted.

In Wayne County applications will be taken at:

* Wayne County Department of Social Services, 301 N. Herman St., Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

* Wayne County Services on Aging, 100 S. John St., Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Fridays 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Dec. 1-16 or until the money is exhausted

* WAGES Mount Olive Nutrition Site,711 NW Center St., Mount Olive, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Dec. 1-16 or until money is exhausted

* Pikeville Community Center, 105 W. School St., Pikeville, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, Dec. 1-22 or until the money is exhausted.

In prior years the applications were taken in November and payments were sent directly to program recipients in February. Households participating in the Food and Nutrition Services Program (formerly called Food Stamps) were automatically approved. That is no longer the case. Under the program changes, all households must meet income and resource eligibility requirements and must apply for LIEAP funds; there are no longer automatic approvals.

In addition, the General Assembly is requiring that the energy payments be made directly to the service provider, such as power, gas or oil companies during the month of the application.

All members of the household must be 60 years of age or older, or at least one household member must be disabled and receiving services through the DAAS.

If funds remain available after Jan. 31, 2012, any other eligible households may apply during February through the end of March.

For more information, contact your local county department of social services. A list of these offices and contact information is available at www.ncdhhs.gov/dss/local/.