12/04/11 — Family loses home in early Saturday fire

View Archive

Family loses home in early Saturday fire

By Gary Popp
Published in News on December 4, 2011 1:50 AM

A fire destroyed a home off Buck Swamp Road early Saturday morning.

No one inside the home at the time was injured.

The wood frame, one-story house at 201 Morgan Trace caught fire around 3:20 a.m.

Goldsboro Fire Department Assistant Chief Frank Sasser said the fire was caused by a heat lamp in a doghouse located under a bay window of the home.

Sasser said it was unclear if the dog chewed through the heat lamp's wire or if the lamp fell and ignited a fire.

He said the fire spread to the bay window then the roof's easement and into the attic.

"After a fire gets going in an attic, it all goes pretty quick," Sasser said.

Sasser said the fire entered the home's garage, and the situation became even more dangerous when the fire reached an LP tank.

"The little gas cylinder was throwing out flames like a flamethrower," he said.

Sasser said firefighters took extra precautions when paint cans in the garage began exploding from the heat.

Two firefighters were treated and released at Wayne Memorial Hospital after receiving non-burn injuries.

No estimated amount of damage was available at the time of this report.

Firefighters confirmed that the dog that lives in the doghouse was not injured in the fire.