United Way battling shortfall
By Kenneth Fine
Published in News on December 8, 2011 1:46 PM
Despite a successful Taste of Wayne County and the support of 60 local businesses, United Way officials say the organization's Community Campaign is facing a shortfall -- to the tune of more than $85,000.
And should the annual fundraiser fail to meet its $1.3 million goal, the opportunity to improve the lives of thousands of people will be lost.
Community Campaign chairperson Julie Daniels said she hopes those with the means to donate will lead by example and encourage others to back the cause.
"The purpose of our community's annual campaign is to invest in the United Way to make a difference in our neighbor's lives," she said.
Each program that the United Way backs -- from Meals on Wheels to domestic violence prevention -- is chosen based on its commitment to one of four challenges facing the county: education, community enhancement and stabilizing personal crisis, health and wellness and financial stability.
And the money raised stays right here in Wayne County -- a fact that Mrs. Daniels says should help encourage people to donate.
"Once people realize that the United Way is about improving lives and that we are focused on local people, they'll want to join us," she said.
And for the sake of the 26,000-plus the campaign would help, her colleagues hope she is right.
"Currently we have reached 73% of our goal for improving lives. We are moving in the right direction, but we aren't there yet," said Bob Logan, chairman of the United Way Board of Directors. "It will take all of us working together to reach those in need."
The following organizations and programs are among those funded through the United Way:
* American Red Cross -- Disaster Services; Armed Forces Emergency Services
* Boy Scouts Tuscarora Council -- Boy Scouting Education; Boy Scouting Health and Wellness
* Boys and Girls Club -- Aim for Success; SMART Moves
* Communities in Schools -- Teen Court
* Girl Scouts - NC Coastal Pines -- Girl Scouting Education; Girl Scouting Health and Wellness
* Salvation Army -- Social Services; Shelter
* Society of Vincent de Paul -- Emergency Assistance
* Partnership for Children -- Growing Pains Prenatal; Incredible Years Parenting; Born Learning
* WAGES -- Meals on Wheels Nutrition Program; First Steps
* WATCH -- Initiative for Life
* Wayne County Charitable Partnership -- Literacy Connections
* Wayne Uplift Resource Association -- Domestic Violence Prevention