01/16/12 — Public record

View Archive

Public record

By From staff reports
Published in News on January 16, 2012 1:46 PM


Goldsboro police responded to the home of Kenneth Edwards, in the 200 block of South Virginia Street, after the 34-year-old was stabbed.

Edwards reported to authorities that he was stabbed in the left arm by a woman during an altercation.

According to Edward's statement to police, the woman was attempting to take his PlayStation 3 game console, and when he reached for the device, she put the knife in his arm.

The incident happened about 1:45 p.m. Friday

Edwards was taken by Wayne County Emergency Medical Services to Wayne Memorial Hospital.

City fire report

The Goldsboro Fire Department responded to 34 calls during the week of Jan. 6 to Jan. 12.

Of all the calls made, 10 were assists to Wayne County Emergency Medical Services, eight were to vehicle accidents and five were false alarms.

The department responded to three structure fires during the seven-day period.

Firefighters from headquarters' Bravo shift responded to a house fire at 416 Gulley St. about 4:30 p.m. Jan 6. Their reported response time was four minutes and 19 seconds. The firefighters found light smoke in the house and completed extinguishing a kitchen fire. The fire was the result of unattended cooking on a stove top.

Gary Teachey was cooking chicken tenders in a pan on the stove he went upstairs and took a phone call, according to the incident report. The fire burned surrounding cabinets, but was put out by Teachey beating the flames with a seat cushion. The report continues, while Teachey was removing the hot pan from the home, he burned his hand, which was treated by EMS, but he refused transport to Wayne Memorial Hospital.

The fire caused an estimated damage of $4,000.

On Jan. 6, firefighters from station five's Bravo shift responded to a possible fire call at IHOP restaurant, located at 1100 N. Berkeley Blvd., about 5:15 p.m. The reported response time was 4 minutes and 2 seconds.

Firefighters found an odor of smoke in the men's room. The origin of the fire was found near an outside wall of the restaurant where cigarette butts had been discarded and caused fiberboard to begin smoldering.

Firefighters sprayed foam on the fiberboard and dugout the burned material.

A call was made on Jan. 6 about 12:30 to a vehicle fire at Kangaroo gas station at 2101 Wayne Memorial Drive by firefighters of station three's Bravo shift. The response time was five minutes and 37 seconds. Firefighter quickly knocked down the fire that was showing on arrival. The driver of the vehicle told authorities she heard a loud noise then saw smoke and fire coming from under the vehicle. No one was injured during the incident.

One Jan. 7, firefighters of station two's Charlie shift responded to a vehicle fire at Marathon gas station, located at 1903 E. Ash St., about 5:30 p.m. The reported response time was five minutes and six seconds. The fire was extinguished when firefighters arrived.