02/12/12 — J.B. Price expected home from burn center

View Archive

J.B. Price expected home from burn center

By Phyllis Moore
Published in News on February 12, 2012 1:50 AM

A Goldsboro man injured in a fire while burning trash was expected to be released from the burn center in Chapel Hill this weekend.

J.B. Price, who works at Shumate-Faulk Funeral Home, has been hospitalized since the Jan. 24 accident.

"Something exploded" as Price monitored the burn pit at his home, said his wife, Gwyn. "Whatever it was, he was burned on his face and neck with first- and second-degree burns, and his (right) hand had major third-degree burns."

Surgery was performed Jan. 30 and since then he has shown steady improvement, she said.

"From the doctors, he's progressing very well," she said Thursday. "The doctors seem to think the hand looks good.

"It's going to take a lot of therapy for his hand. The next year is going to be very important for his recovery."

Price, who is involved with many civic organizations, including Military Affairs Committee, Seymour Johnson and Goldsboro Civitans, Golden K Kiwanis and Wayne County Shrine Club, also is a mason and serves on boards for Partners in Education and Salvation Army.

The outpouring of support received in recent weeks was good medicine for the couple, Mrs. Price said.

"His spirits are good because of the cards and concerns of people," she said. "You never know how many friends you have until you get these cards.

"We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers and concerns that have been shown to us at this time and ask for continued prayers and support."