By From staff reports
Published in News on February 29, 2012 1:46 PM
City Fire Report
The Goldsboro Fire Department responded to 72 calls in the recent two-week period from Feb. 10 to Feb. 23. During the time period, the department made a total of 27 assists to Wayne County EMS, 13 vehicle accidents and 13 false alarms.
The department also responded to four building fires.
On Feb. 14, firefighters from Station Four, located at 1300 Poplar St., working Charlie shift, responded to a house fire at 626 Slaughter St., minutes after noon. The reported response time was four minutes.
Heavy smoke was showing when firefighters arrived. Firefighters entered the home to find the origin of the fire, which was thought to be in the attic. Due to zero visibility from thick black and brown smoke, the location of the fire was not initially determined. According to the incident report, a firefighter in the home could hear the fire, which was located in the home's kitchen and then quickly contained. As the smoke began to clear out of the home, firefighters found additional fire in the attic above the stove. The ceiling was pulled down and the overhead fire was targeted. The tin roof was pulled up to reach the hot spots in the attic space.
Residents of the home told firefighters that they had been cooking on the stove and pans had caught fire. Firefighters report the heavy black smoke was caused by the burning of the refrigerator's exterior finish.
Firefighters from Station four, Alpha shift, responded to a hazardous material call at a home at 623 Slaughter St. on Feb. 17 about 11:40 p.m. The response time was reported at 5 minutes and 32 seconds. A strong odor of gasoline was present on arrival. A bleach jug with gasoline was found in the bathroom and a gasoline-soaked toboggan was found on the clothes dryer. Firefighters ventilated the home and contacted Goldsboro police due to the two small children living in the home. The smoke detector was found to be broken, which firefighters replaced. Firefighters said it is unclear who put the gasoline in the bathroom and soaked the toboggan or for what reason.
On Feb. 21, Bravo shift firefighters from Station three, located at 100 E. Patetown Road, responded to a house fire at 1109 Clingman St. about 6:30 a.m.
The reported response time was 3 minutes and 16 seconds.
According to the incident report, a woman in the home woke up to a sound in another room, but thought it was only her husband getting ready for work, so she went back to sleep. The couple's small child was also asleep in the home. The woman later awoke to find smoke in the living room. She and her child then exited the home and called 911.
When firefighters arrived they found the fire working. After searching the home for occupants, firefighters performed ventilation and extinguished the fire. The cause of the fire has not been confirmed, but firefighters report the possibility of an overloaded power strip as the source.
Home burglars take jewelry
Sandra Holland reported a break-in at her home in the 5200 block of N.C. 581 N. in Kenly that occurred on Monday. Entry was made after the window of a rear door was broken. The stolen property included nearly 12 pieces of jewelry and a jewelry box, which had a total listed value of more than $3,000.
Men charged in Mount Olive meth operation
Three men have been charged with manufacturing methamphetamine in an abandoned hog farm in Mount Olive.
Charles Jody Britt, 36, of 545 Edwards Store Road in Mount Olive, Sammie Dean Porter, 46, of 845 Rabbit St. in Clinton, and Brent Oneil Turner, 35, of 818 Shipp Road in Clinton, were arrested by members of the Goldsboro/Wayne County Interagency Narcotics Task Force.
Lawmen located the methamphetamine lab Monday off of Raynor Mill Road.
Subsequent to an investigation, the three suspects were arrested at the site of the methamphetamine lab.
The SBI was contacted and assisted in the processing and dismantling of the lab.
Brit and Turner were placed under a $100,000 secured bond and Porter was placed under a $200,00 secured bond.
Dudley man charged in theft
Michael Scott Butts, 31, of 664 Durham Lake Road, Apt. A, in Dudley, has been charged for his alleged connection in a theft from N.C. Salvage Co., located at 2058 N.C. 117 S. that occurred Friday.
The Wayne County Sheriff's Office charged Butts with two counts each of obtaining property by false pretense, larceny and possession of stolen goods.
Deputies received a larceny report from N.C. Salvage for property with a listed value of $159.95.
Investigation revealed that Butts stole the property and sold the goods back to the salvage company, according to deputies. All stolen property was recovered and returned to the victim.
Butts was placed under a $5,000 bond.
Copper thieves hit businesses, churches, homes
*Jackie Hill reported the theft of $10 of copper tubing from an HVAC unit at the Central Baptist Church, located at 611 W. Grantham St., that occurred between Feb. 22 and Feb. 25. The damage to the air unit during the theft was listed at $200.
*Daniels Furniture and Appliance employee Bryan Daniels reported the theft of $100 of copper pipe from the a/c unit of the business, located at 200 U.S. 117 S. The theft occurred Saturday and caused $300 in damage to the unit.
*Walker Cox reported $200 of copper pipe taken from underneath a home in the 400 block of House Street between September 2010 and Saturday. The home has been vacant for several years, according to the report. An additional $3,000 of damage had also been done to copper pipe and other plumbing at the residence.