03/29/12 — Dudley home damaged by fire

View Archive

Dudley home damaged by fire

By Gary Popp
Published in News on March 29, 2012 1:46 PM

Full Size


Firefighters douse a fire at 310 Ward Drive.

DUDLEY -- A Dudley area home was severely damaged in a fire late Wednesday morning.

No one was in the single-story brick home at 310 Ward Drive when the fire, which is believed to have been caused by a clothes iron, began about 11 a.m.

Arrington Volunteer Fire Department Chief Randy Rogers said it appears the iron, located in a bedroom of the home, malfunctioned.

He said the home was not a total loss, but heavily damaged by fire and smoke. The fire consumed two bedrooms and half of the attic, he said.

The value of the home and its contents was estimated at $100,000. Damages were estimated at $60,000.

Rogers said the family is receiving help from the American Red Cross.

Arrington, Dudley and MarMac fire stations responded to the fire.

Rogers praised the job performed by the firefighters from all three departments to minimize the damage.

"Attic fires are very difficult to stop. We were really fortunate to get a good stop on it and save what we did."